Allow changing cashback retailers every 6 or 12 months. Or add them in gradually

Reason being people move home/change jobs and your preferred supermarket may not be in your new area.

Or at least let us choose less than 6 upon signup and add those in later on?

At the moment I’m 100% sure I want to choose Amazon but not so sure about Starbucks/Pret/Nero etc because I have changed jobs (working from home) and in a post covid19 world I may have to work out of an office in an area I’m not familiar with. So locking in retailers that won’t be available nearby my workplace doesn’t look good…

I find surprising that the main value features of the paid plans is immediately lost once a customer relocates.

Even when I switch flats within a city the main retailers are totally different. I can’t imagine how students, contract workers, freelancers, digital nomads and all those groups who are likely to relocate would not find this as a big turn off.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that you couldn’t change the retailers until I saw this thread. Now I wish I hadn’t selected any retailers and instead had selected them only when I needed them. This is very poor.

Yep as I’ve mentioned before I really think there needs to be a clear warning in the app that these aren’t changeable - @Curve_Marie any progress with that suggestion? :bulb:

1 Like

Hey there! At the moment we haven’t added this feature to the app but your suggestion has been passed to our product and development team.

2 Likes

@Zac_Curve, I wouldn’t describe the ability to choose the 6 retailers as a “feature”. Instead, I would describe it as a remedy.

At https://www.curve.com/en-gb/p/metal, Curve advertises “With Curve Metal, you get 1% instant Curve Cash from your choice of 6 luxurious brands from a list of 100+ retailers for unlimited time”. Some customers might argue that Curve’s failure to mention that the choice can be made only once, and never changed, is a misleading omission in breach of Regulation 6 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. It is therefore important that Curve does both of the following:

1. Amend the above page to make it very clear that this is a one-off choice in perpetuity, and that the choice cannot be changed over time.
  2. Allow those who have already made their 6 choices, without having been informed that the choices were in perpetuity, to change their choices by contacting Curve support.
4 Likes

I’ve been looking into this in more detail, including Curve’s terms and conditions. Paragraphs 16.2.7 to 16.2.11 cover Curve Cash, which misleadingly omit to mention that the choice of 6 merchants is in perpetuity and cannot be changed. Such a misleading omission could breach Regulation 6 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

On its marketing page about Curve Metal, Curve states “With Curve Metal, you get 1% instant Curve Cash from your choice of 6 luxurious brands from a list of 100+ retailers for unlimited time”. This statement has at least three competing meanings:

• The “unlimited time” applies to the ability to earn Curve Cash.
  • The “unlimited time” applies to the ability to choose the 6 luxurious brands.
  • The “unlimited time” applies to both the ability to earn Curve Cash and the ability to choose the 6 luxurious brands.

Section 50(1) of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 states:

Every contract to supply a service is to be treated as including as a term of the contract anything that is said or written to the consumer, by or on behalf of the trader, about the trader or the service, if—

(a) it is taken into account by the consumer when deciding to enter into the contract, or

(b) it is taken into account by the consumer when making any decision about the service after entering into the contract.

Therefore the statement on the marketing page is a binding contractual term. Furthermore, Section 69(1) of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 states:

If a term in a consumer contract, or a consumer notice, could have different meanings, the meaning that is most favourable to the consumer is to prevail.

Therefore the statement on the marketing page can be interpreted only to mean that the “unlimited time” applies to both the ability to earn Curve Cash and the ability to choose the 6 luxurious brands.

@Zac_Curve, can Curve therefore fix the app urgently to allow the choice of 6 merchants to be changed at any time in order to comply with Curve’s T&Cs?

3 Likes

I agree with your post, but mostly I’m just chuckling at Tesco and Lidl being in the list of “luxurious brands”

2 Likes

Yes, clearly you are limited to 6 choices, and the choice is not unlimited. But it does not state anywhere that the 6 choices can be made only once and are subsequently fixed in perpetuity. On the contrary, the meaning that I understood is that the ability to choose continues for an unlimited time. This is a misleading omission. If I had known that the choice was a one-off, then I wouldn’t have selected any until I needed to shop at them, and would have instead added them one-by-one.

To be honest what I’d like for now is that support could manually add just a couple of retailers and I can request the remaining 4 once I’m back in the office…

There is. It states “your choice” and “for unlimited time”. This suggests that the ability to choose endures for an unlimited time. At least that’s one potential meaning, and of course “the meaning that is most favourable to the consumer is to prevail”.

That’s not true. The cashback is funded from the interchange fee that Curve receives on transasctions, particularly on Curve commercial cards, where it’s a hefty 1.25% to 1.65%.

Yes, that is clear and you can choose the 6 for an unlimited time, and the cashback continues in perpetuity. But once you’ve chosen, there is nothing to imply or suggest you can make a subsequent change to the 6 retailers. If there was, there’d be no need to limit it to 6 choices. I’m not able to change the colour of my metal card once chosen either.

Are you being serious? Of course it’s funded by Curve, who get the money from different sources (one of which is interchange fees, but it’s mainly investors at this stage!). It’s not funded by the retailer, and Curve are legally obligated to point this out. The interchange fee will subsidise it of course, but won’t normally cover it - Curve are losing money on most of the transactions where they pay out cashback. If they don’t recognise the transaction as being valid for cashback or don’t let you change your choices, Curve make more money than they otherwise would. But it’s a marketing expense to get people to pay a subscription, which will hopefully cover the cashback and more! Curve would make less money if their cashback choices were not sticky, as you could just cycle the choices before each transaction.

It is funded by the retailer in the case of Curve commercial cards.

Legally obliged by which legislation?

The retailer doesn’t typically pay anything different if I have selected the retailer or not for cashback. It’s also funded by all of our subscription fees and investor funds - it comes from the same pot.

Jif Lemon. Curve have always made clear that the other firms that have their logo featured on their website do not have an arrangement with them. BP’s lawyers are not to trifled with!

Getting into a two-way argument now. Thread will reopen later.

My spending patterns change over time, I think it would be nice to be able to select a new set of cashback shops every so often, perhaps once a year?

I have a couple now I have not shopped at for a while, and a couple I am using more often and it is frustrating to think I am stuck with the original set ‘for life’ or I have to raise a ticket etc to have them reset manually, it would be nice to have the option to re-select them myself.

I still cannot believe there isn’t a solution for this yet. It is misleading when you sign-up and choose the retailers (in the sense that it doesn’t explicitly say anywhere that you won’t be able to change them after selection), but it is also incredibly disappointing that the 6 retailers I chose 12 months ago (when I was commuting, buying lunches from the office etc.) are now no longer bringing me one of the key rewards offered by Curve Metal in my eyes.

Has anyone managed to change their retailers before? Have we had feedback from Curve on whether or not we would be able to swap these over? I’m considering cancelling my subscription as this (amongst other things) is a major pain point for me.

1 Like

I agree this really does need to be made explicit for users if changes aren’t possible. @Curve_Marie any update on discussions re making either of these changes?

2 Likes