Amex Blocks Curve in Anti-Competitive Move

I like many others was really quite astonished to see this as anyone.

Looking at the known details thus far, it seems as though the eagerness of Curve to get a new product lineup out they somehow managed to get disengaged with this critical partner. As Amex says in its statement they were participating in a limited beta and for all intensive purposes the “going public” aspect seems to have sparked this, speculation of course based upon what we know.

I agree with the previous posters, Curve certainly was stating the feature was Beta, however looking at it’s announcements which were far and wide and carried also by the broadsheets, it gives every impression to the consumer that Amex was/is a core feature, not Beta, even though some of the communication denoted it as such. If this was something in front of the Advertising Standards Bureau I believe Curve would lose the argument that it was clearly denoted beta. However disappointed we as consumers are, it really makes me wonder how Curve potentially mistepped with this critical partner in its relationship, something clearly has gone wrong and I’m scratching my head wondering how they could have gotten this so wrong.

As with any startup, these things unfortunately do happen, speaking with my own experience I do feel for the team and hope they are doing some soul searching along with practical measures to line up their communications and partnerships strategies to shore up what they have with the other partners and repair what they can with Amex, far worse things happen to other companies. Hopefully a big mea culpa for what ever it is can bring things around.

I for one will continue my support for Curve on the basis that how they listened to their customers regarding the subscription situation and delivered a decent compromise at least for my personal situation on the Black cards.

It’s really in the hands now of Curve, let’s hope they can straighten this out and limit damage to the brand and credibility.

3 Likes

Crazy situation …! i was still awaiting the Amex feature for Me here in France…and it aborts before even existing for us…
I don’t know, like everybody here, the real reasons of this fight between Curve and Amex, but i support the team and i cross my fingers for a good future, with or without Amex.
after all, i’m happy to be able to use all my MC and Visa trough my Curve, and i can use my Amex in direct mode, like since i’m member ( 1988)…That’s only my own opinion.

Dont you guys find it strange, that even with 4/6 months of free subcription for beta users we still paid for the first month? Doesn’t happen likr that with Netflix/Spotify etc. Looks like they needed money fast. To get money subscriptions were rolled our faster. Subscribtions could not have been rolled out without Amex. I hope this is not true…

3 Likes

Nowhere did it say we should have paid for the first month.

I’ve raised support tickets demanding a refund as a paid first month is not a free 6 months. Both me and my wife have had £9.99 taken without consent or authorisation. Being ignored by the team at the moment… if they don’t refund within a week or so I’ll be raising a chargeback.

3 Likes

I believe I did see it somewhere, that you had to pay the first month and then the rest 4/6 would be free.

In any case, I paid the full amount.

Where, I saw it nowhere…

"How many months of Metal or new Curve Black do I get?

All Beta testers from starting the Curve Amex Closed Beta Programme to the third wave, will be given 6 months of the new Curve Black or 4 Months of Metal."

Beta Testers will be able try to the new Curve Black for 6 months for free or 4 months of Metal.”

Nowhere does it state we must pay for month 1 to get the next 6 monthes free. I wouldn’t have bothered otherwise as my Curve Amex usage is not that high, I spend mainly on my Amex directly whenever possible!

I don’t really see why it’s a risk I use my Amex wherever I can i carry it anyway as sometimes the offers on Amex are available. I only use Curve if the merchant doesn’t accept Amex as why use up limits or even extra fees (blue) so Amex are gaining extra business if most people on curve do the same. Just my thoughts, but it’s a shame it’s not happening anymore.

I believe that only applied to those upgrading to Metal, where (I understand from comments from others) you had to pay 1 year upfront and get refunded your free months.

I bought a Curve Black in Nov 2018, became a beta tester, then installed the public beta - no charge, which is consistent with the 6 months free new Curve Black trial period (for beta testers). Or am I just lucky?

When was this charge ?

I upgraded the app on 27th eve and got moved to subscription without my consent but I never saw a charge notification.

Were you notified ? And if on which card ? The card that’s currently selected in Curve or some other card ?

Can you post a screenshot of that.

Excellent post, @fwdlink :grin:

This is it. As you can see Marie wrote you need to pay the first month

1 Like

2 Likes

At first glance I was weary of the subscription model proposed but could certainly see how I could make the metal version be worthwhile for me, especially for running all spend though amex. The prospect of having truly one card in my wallet was very very appealing.
With the loss of amex, I am not sure if I value my rewards enough on visa/mastercard’s to opt for any future subscription models. The blue card seems most appealing for HMRC and UK spend but the fx fees above £500 a month, makes it less useful for a family abroad for one to two weeks. I may be inclined to take my 0% fees post office card instead (also handy as there are two cards on one account)
Going forward, especially if a ‘fight is on with amex’, not sure if curve will revert back to the old black model, especially as any subscription package has uncertain future. I appreciate however that any business model has to stack up for the future

I’m wasn’t Curve Black, I was Curve Blue, I fall under the “Curve Beta” part which doesn’t say I need to pay for a month.

That also states you will pay for the first month if you choose Metal… I chose Black!

So you basically chose to upgrade to the new Curve Black.

The free months don’t apply to you as you were not Curve Black before the new subscriptions were launched. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It stated Curve Beta users were offered 6 months free Black.

It doesn’t say you needed to be Curve Black, just that you have to be a Curve Beta user (both me and my wife were) to get that free 6 months… nowhere does it say you needed Curve black as well.

See above/below for the wording they wrote.

"How many months of Metal or new Curve Black do I get?

All Beta testers from starting the Curve Amex Closed Beta Programme to the third wave, will be given 6 months of the new Curve Black or 4 Months of Metal."

“Beta Testers will be able try to the new Curve Black for 6 months for free or 4 months of Metal.”

2 Likes

Thanks - were you notified in app by Curve about this charge ?

I moved from black to black subscription and no charge yet (atleast no notifications yet)

2 Likes

Ah sorry for the confusion. I kinda thought that the above applied for everything.

In any case, Curve messed up pretty well

2 Likes

I stand corrected - I’ve asked for clarification on this in the January Launch FAQs topic.

Though given the absolute chaos this Amex thing has caused the Curve customer base this morning, I suspect the Curve team may take some time to respond to my little question :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Really sad to discover this… upgraded to Metal on Friday. I think Curve is great and I will continue to support, even without Amex support although I’m gutted I won’t be able to get another 10,000 or so Amex points extra a month by paying some of my business suppliers with Curve (they only take MC/Visa)… still, that’s not Curve’s fault.

Really feeling for this great British start-up but you have my support and loyalty… keep on with the fight!

1 Like