Backup source card

The problem with that is what is your backup card is the one without the money in there ?

I can see there is a benefit to having something like this, but its not going to solve the problem if you only use two cards and the back up one is the one rejected.

I think the idea behind the original thought was that typically most people have a ‘primary’ card, but occasionally have to switch to a ‘secondary’ card.

Clearly if the ‘primary’ card is set up as the backup, and both are declined, then the transaction will be declined. The likelihood is that the ‘primary’ card will have funds because that’ll be the one that the user was expecting to be charged.

1 Like

I’m reading it that if primary card itself failed, you’d fall back onto the backup card. If both fail through their own fault, that’s that.

If both have in insufficient funds, that’s down to you. Curve will have done it’s job.

That sound about it?

(Of course this conversation assumes there’s a vague possibility of implementation - could be a waste of chat…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:).

2 Likes

This sounds like a great idea :relaxed: Thanks for sharing! We have now passed it on to the product team and will see what are their thoughts about it.

2 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like

Maybe a good option would be temporary switches. i.e. Switch to this card for 1 day/hour, then automatically switch back to the previous card.

2 Likes

Hey, Joan from the product team at Curve.

Thanks for raising this problem "…doing some special transactions, i forgetting to switch back to my main source card in Curve app. And then, during my next card payment, my bank refusing it due to insufficient funds…”. We have been looking at it and there are many solutions mentioned here, really good brainstorming.

Summarising them and adding some more solutions as follows:

• Back up source card. (pros) would solve the problem while back up card has funds (cons) once Curve gets a response back from the issuing bank “insufficient funds” it is not possible to send a new authorisation request message to another bank, it would require a double authorisation request on every transaction, so to make a hold of funds on two accounts given auth is successful on both. Does not solve the problem “doing some special transaction, i forget to switch back…”. Still a chance the back up card has no funds.

• Select card for a one off purchase, then it selects back the primary one. (pros) solves the issue of “i forgetting to switch back to my main source card”. (cons) does not solve the issue of declines due to lack of funds.

• Decline App Notification: instantly prompt in the app a notification with the reason of the decline “insufficient funds” and being able to select another card within the notification. Then attempt the payment a second time. (pros) solves the problem of switching back to the primary card (cons) it has to be attempted a second time the payment.

• Low Balance on the selected card warning: When the balance of the selected card is low, push notification with option to select a secondary card. (pros) solves the issue of “during my next card payment, my bank refusing “. Prevents the issue before the payment. (cons) It depends on PSD2 implementation not yet done, so long term solution.

Please let me know what you think about each option, any preferences, any more ideas very welcome.

Many thanks for your collaboration :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I like @adams idea.

When switching cards, give options for e.g.:

“Until I change it”
“The next hour”
“The next 1 transaction”
“Custom time/transactions”

Or similar, then automatically switch back to the previous card (or better, a default card selected by the user)?

That said, the Decline App Notification option would be good to have as well just anyway. I would like to get much more information about the reason for declines.

4 Likes

Another con of this is that it doesn’t help if you have no signal, which is also when I’m likely to not be able to change cards or to check the balance on a card before paying. The same goes for the low balance warning.

I think my favourite option would be to select a card for a one-off purchase or for a limited time as suggested by @andyk

3 Likes

@andyk really good options suggested here.

If we had to do just 2 options which ones would you chose firstly, just trying to get an understanding of the value of each. Feel free to suggest more options. Thanks.

As for me The next 1 transaction is ideal, in addition to current behaviour. It’d be extremely useful with Curve Rewards cards and, probably, with holiday bookings.

2 Likes

If I could only pick two, Indefinitely and One Transaction

2 Likes

So you would like an option of “switch to another card automatically for one transaction if a payment fails for whatever reason”? You could then retry the payment without needing to use the app, and get the necessary information later when you resurface and get the signal back. You can also later move it manually (or automatically?) to the primary card with the go back in time feature if it was just a technical issue or funds have been replenished.
If backup card doesn’t have funds, you’re screwed anyways.

1 Like

Yeah something like that. I’d basically put a credit card with a high limit as the backup card, so as a fallback it would always have funds available.

2 Likes

That’s actually a brilliant idea. Hope it gets implemented.

That’s not quite what I’m saying, but in itself is a good idea.

What I’m saying is that when I change card, it would be useful to be able to change cars just for the next transaction I make, then go back to the card I had selected before.

This is because there are a few cards on my Curve which I only ever use for one transaction at a time, but it’s very easy to forget to swap back to my usual card.

This would save Curve a fair bit in the fees they presumably pay for GBIT.

1 Like

I like to make most of my purchases on my debit card, but if the month had a few surprises I might need my credit card.
Would it be possible to create a priority scheme, so you say

1. Try to take the money from my Bank Account (Card One)
  2. Try to take the money from my Savings Account (Card Two)
  3. If all else fails take it from my credit card? (Card Three)

A priority scheme might then be given a virtual card in the wallet that uses this?

I’d use that feature!

That sounds good.

If my cards ever fail I’d always try them again anyway, then if it failed a second time I’d try another time.

So happy for the first transaction to fail then have the next attempt go to another card.

I would use this one more but I would like to see the option for selecting another card when it is declined as well

This has gone quiet for a coupe of months. Yet again yesterday I accidently left Curve rewards selected, which has about 22p in it. And so of course my next two payments were declined for insufficient funds until I could look into what was wrong. It would be so useful to have had a backup card set in case of this situation. I am savvy enough to know which card to use as backup (I have one which I rarely use and so normally has zero balance) and of course I can shift transactions after the event if I don’t want that backup card used.

1 Like