Backup source card

This sounds like a great idea :relaxed: Thanks for sharing! We have now passed it on to the product team and will see what are their thoughts about it.

2 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like

Maybe a good option would be temporary switches. i.e. Switch to this card for 1 day/hour, then automatically switch back to the previous card.

2 Likes

Hey, Joan from the product team at Curve.

Thanks for raising this problem "…doing some special transactions, i forgetting to switch back to my main source card in Curve app. And then, during my next card payment, my bank refusing it due to insufficient funds…”. We have been looking at it and there are many solutions mentioned here, really good brainstorming.

Summarising them and adding some more solutions as follows:

• Back up source card. (pros) would solve the problem while back up card has funds (cons) once Curve gets a response back from the issuing bank “insufficient funds” it is not possible to send a new authorisation request message to another bank, it would require a double authorisation request on every transaction, so to make a hold of funds on two accounts given auth is successful on both. Does not solve the problem “doing some special transaction, i forget to switch back…”. Still a chance the back up card has no funds.

• Select card for a one off purchase, then it selects back the primary one. (pros) solves the issue of “i forgetting to switch back to my main source card”. (cons) does not solve the issue of declines due to lack of funds.

• Decline App Notification: instantly prompt in the app a notification with the reason of the decline “insufficient funds” and being able to select another card within the notification. Then attempt the payment a second time. (pros) solves the problem of switching back to the primary card (cons) it has to be attempted a second time the payment.

• Low Balance on the selected card warning: When the balance of the selected card is low, push notification with option to select a secondary card. (pros) solves the issue of “during my next card payment, my bank refusing “. Prevents the issue before the payment. (cons) It depends on PSD2 implementation not yet done, so long term solution.

Please let me know what you think about each option, any preferences, any more ideas very welcome.

Many thanks for your collaboration :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think I like @adams idea.

When switching cards, give options for e.g.:

“Until I change it”
“The next hour”
“The next 1 transaction”
“Custom time/transactions”

Or similar, then automatically switch back to the previous card (or better, a default card selected by the user)?

That said, the Decline App Notification option would be good to have as well just anyway. I would like to get much more information about the reason for declines.

4 Likes

Another con of this is that it doesn’t help if you have no signal, which is also when I’m likely to not be able to change cards or to check the balance on a card before paying. The same goes for the low balance warning.

I think my favourite option would be to select a card for a one-off purchase or for a limited time as suggested by @andyk

3 Likes

@andyk really good options suggested here.

If we had to do just 2 options which ones would you chose firstly, just trying to get an understanding of the value of each. Feel free to suggest more options. Thanks.

As for me The next 1 transaction is ideal, in addition to current behaviour. It’d be extremely useful with Curve Rewards cards and, probably, with holiday bookings.

2 Likes

If I could only pick two, Indefinitely and One Transaction

2 Likes

So you would like an option of “switch to another card automatically for one transaction if a payment fails for whatever reason”? You could then retry the payment without needing to use the app, and get the necessary information later when you resurface and get the signal back. You can also later move it manually (or automatically?) to the primary card with the go back in time feature if it was just a technical issue or funds have been replenished.
If backup card doesn’t have funds, you’re screwed anyways.

1 Like

Yeah something like that. I’d basically put a credit card with a high limit as the backup card, so as a fallback it would always have funds available.

2 Likes

That’s actually a brilliant idea. Hope it gets implemented.

That’s not quite what I’m saying, but in itself is a good idea.

What I’m saying is that when I change card, it would be useful to be able to change cars just for the next transaction I make, then go back to the card I had selected before.

This is because there are a few cards on my Curve which I only ever use for one transaction at a time, but it’s very easy to forget to swap back to my usual card.

This would save Curve a fair bit in the fees they presumably pay for GBIT.

1 Like

I like to make most of my purchases on my debit card, but if the month had a few surprises I might need my credit card.
Would it be possible to create a priority scheme, so you say

1. Try to take the money from my Bank Account (Card One)
  2. Try to take the money from my Savings Account (Card Two)
  3. If all else fails take it from my credit card? (Card Three)

A priority scheme might then be given a virtual card in the wallet that uses this?

I’d use that feature!

That sounds good.

If my cards ever fail I’d always try them again anyway, then if it failed a second time I’d try another time.

So happy for the first transaction to fail then have the next attempt go to another card.

I would use this one more but I would like to see the option for selecting another card when it is declined as well

This has gone quiet for a coupe of months. Yet again yesterday I accidently left Curve rewards selected, which has about 22p in it. And so of course my next two payments were declined for insufficient funds until I could look into what was wrong. It would be so useful to have had a backup card set in case of this situation. I am savvy enough to know which card to use as backup (I have one which I rarely use and so normally has zero balance) and of course I can shift transactions after the event if I don’t want that backup card used.

1 Like

@adams This would be the ideal solution. Select a card for just next transaction then return to default :+1:

I do also like the idea of temporary in-app card selections (aka a simplified rule engine really).

Though, how about going more bold with this?
Here’s an idea: the Curve “physical” card is actually… 2 cards in one: primary and backup (yes - 2 separate card #, both cards configurable via app). The card would have a physical feature of sorts (say, a touch-sensitive area) to choose between them. This would solve the “offline” backup selection scenario when the Curve app cannot be accessed for whichever reason.

I think it would be great to have a secondary funding source(s), as opposed to the only one funding source, which is manually selected at any time.

Right now, there is only one funding source considered active at any time. Sure, you can switch between the sources manually, but you could automate the process a bit to make the Curve card even more usable. So, the idea basically is that you could select a secondary source (card) that would fund a pending transaction in case a primary (active) one would run out of funds temporarily or fail for any other reason.

Why is this useful? Consider the following scenario. As a user, you probably have multiple funding sources set up (that’s the whole reason of using Curve card, isn’t it). When having multiple accounts at different banks, you must put some effort into managing/transferring your money between them. And sometimes, you just forget to top-up your primary funding source in time and you end up with no balance on that card. Sure, you can (and will) top it up once you realize that the account is empty, but wouldn’t it be great if the Curve curd would be smart enough to draw funds for the immediately pending transaction from the secondary funding source automatically?

Just imagine: you’re in the store trying to pay for your groceries with Curve and your payment gets rejected because your active funding source is empty. You get nervous, you don’t realize immediately what is going on, maybe you entered the wrong PIN, so you try it once again, only to be rejected again. Then it hits you - OMG, I ran out of money on my primary account. Damn. The cashier is looking at you funny, like, what are you trying to pull here? The people in the line behind you are getting impatient because you’re taking too long to pay for your purchase, you feel a bit guilty… Then you pull out your phone, searching through screen pages for Curve app, maybe you mistype the app’s PIN on the first attempt because you’re getting nervous, then you finally get in, and want to change the active funding source. You quickly think through - which other card does have some balance still? Not wanting to get rejected again… Maybe you’re lucky this time and the payment goes through using the other funding source, but all this could have been automatic, without any user intervention…

So, my suggestion is to have a primary and a secondary funding source. The secondary is obviously only used in case the primary source fails (for whatever reason). In this case, a warning message should obviously come up (after successful transaction), stating what happened and reminding the user to check the primary source and top it up if necessary.

Any why stop there? We could have not only one, but multiple secondary sources. Actually, each of the added cards could be marked either as an “automatic source” with its priority level, or “manual source” that never gets automatically accessed, only when manually switched over as a primary source.