Curve cashback system little disappointing

I’ve been trying out curve metal for some months and have come to the conclusion that the cashback system how it’s currently set up is very disappointing. At first I thought it would be a great addition to my other cashback cards, but it turns out that only 6 merchants, and permanent at that is pretty restrictive. Since start of using my card (about 3 months) I’ve managed to gather around 1 euro which not very impressive. Compare that to my other cashback card, that gives 1% on every purchase I’ve already managed to get 40 euro (in actual cash that i can transfer to my bank account) during the same timespan and it costs like 1/5 of what curve metal costs (also includes travel insurance). Not only this, the curve cash won’t be spent unless it covers the cost of the purchase, expires after 6 months if not used and can’t be redeemed for actual cash.

Now with the partnership with plutus giving the possibility of having curve black for free, I’m struggling to see why I should keep my metal subscription, when I can get 3% on all purchases for the same price with plutus premium + curve black. I would get everything that curve has to offer (that is useful) and get amazing cashback.

Most cards nowadays allow cashback on all purchases so I don’t see why curve couldn’t do the same?

Some suggestions to make it more useful:

• Make it possible to spend the curve cash even if it does not cover the full purchase amount.
  • Have cashback on all purchases. If this is too expensive, have a monthly cap like plutus or adjust the cashback amount. Revolut has 0.1% within europe and 1% outside, maybe curve could do the same?

If it’s still going to be a limited set of merchants, have them at least not being permanent. Let people change them after a couple of months or so.

2 Likes

1eur is nothing. You (everybody) can save way more just by not spending money on purchases you dont really need. Drink 1 coffee less per month. More money already saved :smiley: Cashback is invented so ppl are lured to spend more. At least that is how I see it.

4 Likes

Sure the best thing is not not spend, but that’s an awfully boring life. If it’s money you were going to spend anyways, like eating out or just having a good time, it’s nice with some cashback. The card issuer makes money off the transaction data we provide, so it only makes sense that we would get a cut out of it.

1 Like

I don’t quite agree. I’m using CURVE and PLUTUS, and thanks to the GBIT, I’m moving every single expense to PLUTUS, thus getting 3% for everything (even taxes).
I’m not spending more than I usually spend; however, I already got about 300 euro cashback in a few months.
What makes the Metal worth, IMO, is having 120 days for the GBIT

2 Likes

I agree, for the cashback it’s probably too much expensive since intercheange fees in europe is limited to 0.2% per transaction (for personnal cards) so they probably pay themselves the 0.8%.

And if you spend too much I guess they are loosing money.

For business cards there is no regulation so they could probably make cashback more free.
I wonder why don’t they create a token and make an IPO though.

1 Like

Where the information that Curve Cash expires after 6 months come from?

Restrictions

• Your Curve Cash points expire after 6 months.
2 Likes

I didn’t know it, I was just cumulating curve cash to a certain amount before spending it…

Thank you for the hint!

1 Like

I’m curious what difference this makes to 90 days?

My personal experience with GBIT is that it sounds a lot better on paper then what it actually is. Since it works by refund, it can take a couple of days before the money gets refunded on the original card. But the card you are swapping to will always get charged instantly, so this effectivly makes it so that you are charged twice for a short (couple of days) period. Some credit cards also require you to manually call in or let them know somehow that it was a refund, otherwise they will charge you extra for not paying the credit and depending on how fast you react to this, it can even affect your creditscore.

Honestly, this was not how I imagined how GBIT would work. At the very least the target card should not be charged until the original card has been refuned. Better yet, curve should actually borrow out some money to make the diff untill the switch is completed.

It’s super annoying too that the curve app transaction history will not accuretly show the state of the underlying card either… /rant finished

So if you get refunded and Curve cannot match that transaction and it ends up in Curve Cash instead, does that value also expire after 6 months?

This happened to me with £300 cash sitting with Curve. I hope this refund isn’t subject to an expiry date!

This scenario happened to me, and I got 200$ refunded into curve cash. I think this is a special case though (need confirmation) that it’s counted as e-money, and therefore sort of acts like real money and won’t expire after 6 months. However, last time I checked I couldn’t transfer this money back to any credit card or bank account so I still owed the underlying credit card that credit… Basically that money is locked, and I don’t know if there is any way or even if it’s possible to ask curve to pay it out to your bank account. I learned then that it’s not preferable to have large amounts of curve cash since it prevents you from getting points / cashback on your credit cards. One of the main points (imo) of curve is to enhance the experience of using credit cards, not degrade it.

I am also worried that reflecting Curve’s clear lack of funding - marked by staff redundancies and no acceptable level of support - that if they go bankrupt there’s no protection with Curve Cash. However, the lack of support means it will be exhausting trying to get the money transferred to a credit or debit card!

When I do have enough Curve Cash, I usually top up my Revolut card with the exact amount in Curve Cash and then transfer it to my bank account from Revolut. It’s extra step but at least no need to wait on Curve customer support.

3 Likes