Did Curve build it's own tech stack?

Has Curve built it’s own tech stack from scratch or did they buy a stack off the shelf?

Monzo and Starling have built their own tech stack from scratch so what about you Curve? It is something you are looking into if you haven’t? (Though it might be too late for that at this point but stranger things have happened.)

What difference does it makes ?

1 Like

It makes a lot of difference. A stack that’s built in house is a lot better for many reasons. It’s quite expensive and slow to build but the benefits are that it fits you like a glove and of course can be built upon fairly easily. Many buy off the shelf because it’s fast to deploy. The issue with that is they are using somebody else’s product and there might be certain edge cases that the stack isn’t designed to handle and of course can’t be built upon by yourself.

So in essence they paid or are still paying money to a vendor for it’s product and it’s not 100 per cent working for them.

So that’s the difference that it makes.

I disagree.

Either approach have pro’s and con’s. By end of the day, it doesn’t matter. What really matters, are the skills of the team (dev and management).

Trust me, fixing own “legacy” code few years old is not much easier than someone’s else code.
Also, assuming that company is on the market for a several years, for most programmers in a dev team it’s “someone else’s” code anyway :wink:
And, by the way, it’s easier to acknowledge fundamental flaw in someone else’s approach rather that in your own. Which make it harder to fix “own code”.

What really matters, is a strength of the team, knowledge management, solid system architecture and efficient development processes & Q&A.

I can point on a few (obvious) weaknesses that Curve have in this process, but it really doesn’t matter if they were inherited from 3rd party or “home grown”, as the cure will be exactly the same.

1 Like

Sure I’ve already named a few above. So the above comment is superfluous.

Lol if it’s a stack owned by somebody else you can’t touch it anyway. In the vast majority of cases. Want support? You’d better give the company concerned a call…

It’s still owned by the company so it’s able to do with it what it wants when it wants and how it wants. That’s the difference.

Easier to manage if it’s your own code as the saying goes God loves those who have their own. Sure the above matters as well sure but all the above comes with ownership of their own codebase. Monzo and Starling don’t seem to be complaining. It’s a huge undertaking don’t get me wrong, but the results speak for themselves.