Been using Curve metal for about a year now. Honestly at first just to get the metal card with full intention to cancel it, but figured I can leave it running for a while. Especially after they nerfed the free tier functionality. (Hey, why not support a product you like? )
I am a power user with a looot of cards in my Curve. From virtual cards like Revolut, Crypto cards, cashback heavy cards, to cards from banks of different countries I frequently travel and have accounts with.
Here are the things that I longed for the most while using the card as my single card for a while (and paying for it!)
- FX fees!! I think it’s a bit ridiculous that metal users have to pay weekend fx fees, especially after that summer campaign that got rid of them temporarily. If the system is already there to support it, I don’t get why not just cut the fees for people that already pay monthly?
- Better smart rules: The current feel so limited, I first thought my app didn’t load all of them when I first opened the screen. I want a lot more smart rules to make Curve really useful, especially:
- Currency: (My most requested feature) Let me decide which card to use when paying in currency X, if you still make me pay the weekend fee
- Vendor name: Netflix always to card X
- Combinations: Over $300 groceries → X
- More currency card options, or ability to turn of fx conversion altogether: Always relay to my card no matter what the currency is. Going into the app to switch card currency on weekends is a pain, especially when I don’t need the fx fee on some cards at all
- Shortcuts, anyone? If switching cards is a recurring task, let’s make it quicker. Integrate with Siri shortcuts to quickly hit a button and bam! Now card X is the main card. Swiping around between cards is annoying
- Why can’t I change my retailers?? Why not allow it once every 3 months or something. I picked mine mostly at random without understanding my habits, and it’s biting me back. Contacting CS is not what I consider a solution
A lot of these things are what I expect from a card that is so broadly advertised for travelers.
The current way to switch between cards is very annoying, especially when a lot of things like subscriptions run through the card. For example, I switch to card B temporarily because I am in a store, and in that moment some subscription kicks in and charges me. I know I know I can just use GBIT and fix it, but that wouldn’t be needed if I had smart rules to take care of it
Honestly the line between when to just use Apple Wallet and when Curve is getting slimmer and it becomes harder to justify, I often asked myself what I am actually paying for. So instead of being “the card that proxies all your other cards”, IMHO Curve should focus on providing value on top of the concept. So people that really need those power features like advanced routing and quick switch between their cards, and are willing to pay for it. Stuff that Apple can’t (or won’t) do (for now).
(I personally don’t care about Insurance, and I doubt most do. LoungeKey is so limited as well that I haven’t used it a single time. Other cards give me a full Priority Pass, or an unlimited loungekey that doesn’t just reduce my price, but w/e because it’s not what I use Curve for)
Right now I feel like I’m paying monthly for the ability to add some cards to Apple Wallet that don’t support it yet, modernize some older cards, and a (really) nice metal card. So far that’s been worth it for me, but who knows for how long. If there is no additional value, I’ll very likely be leaving once those older cards I am dependent on add support for Apple Pay.
I sound critical but I love Curve