Future USP?

So just a thought…

In the future, if all cards can be added to Google, Apple, Samsung Pay and there is no payment limit and people and not using physical cards - then you will have “all your cards in one (phone)”, so what will Curve’s Unique Selling Point be, do you think?

1 Like

Go Back In Time.

Also, if you’re like me and live in Spain, the 1% cashback, as it’s 100% non-existent otherwise.

Also, when it releases, Curve Credit, as a similar solution like Klarna is (again) almost non-existent in Spain. I can’t comment for other countries :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Good points - GbiT is great. I think they will need to “up” their subscription benefits too as most of what they provide (i.e. insurance and airport lounges) can be got through bank accounts and cards.

I first used Curve a couple of years ago and never really got with it, but just under three months ago decided to give it another go and I like it. My free 90 day cash-back ends on Saturday and then I’m thinking of taking a subscription.

2 Likes

Definitely. I want to take a subscription after my cashback period (I was going to get some kind of smartphone insurance anyway, so this is a deal for me), but I want Curve to confirm me if they are issuing Metal cards with Spanish BINs now that they are in-house.

I don’t want to risk problems with it if I upgrade :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Metal user here, just bare in mind that the smartphone insurance cover only goes up to the value of £800 (At time of writing) so it’s just something to keep in mind! :relieved:

Yep, it’s on par with all other available smartphone insurance in this country for the price, except you get all the rest of Curve Metal’s features too, so it’s really a deal :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I do think that it should be increased to suit higher value phones (iPhone 11 pro anyone?) but I’m glad its a good fit for you! I say go for it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

So many USP:
Better customer support (best support I received from all of my 20+ cards I received from Curve)
0% fx fees
instant push notification
nice app with good UI
GbiT
able to use ALL cards in Google Pay, I have several cards where the Banks are not interested at all to join Apple / Google Pay

3 Likes

Just need Amex supported…

1 Like

For the time being the selling points are quite UK-centric. FX fees aren’t as important for customers inside the Eurozone, most Curve Cash retailers operate in the UK only, and XYZ Pay is officially UK only (with expansion in the works, but with unknown timeframe).

1 Like

Maybe I’m a bit different to everyone else but i primarily use it for my business. For some projects I spend out before the client pays me so I set a credit card as the default spender then charge my current account card once the client has paid me which helps with cash flow, especially now the go back in time is 90 days!

1 Like

They don’t really have one… I used to love my curve. Just don’t use it now.

Cashback, lounge access better on crypto.com card. Fx etc also better there. Insurance better on nationwide flexplus and cheaper. I haven’t used my curve in months.

Hmmm, very valid point. I never thought of that.

For months and months now I only carry my phone, not even a physical card and no wallet. I use Apple Pay for all my transactions and VERY rarely do I run into problems.

COVID has only made contactless even more prevalent.

I got really excited seeing the “Add to G Pay” button in the Curve Beta App and the addition of Curve to Google’s list of supported card providers in Germany. It’s a pity that the button has now been removed again, of course also the Wirecard drama will have shifted the priorities.

In the short run, I personally think that “You can add all your cards to Google / Samsung / Fitbit / Garmin / Apple Pay and don’t have to wait for your bank to support these apps” is a great selling point for Cuve gaining lots of new customers. The announced partnership with Samsung (“Samsung Pay Card, powered by Curve”) also supports this “new” USP.

I know a lot of regional and kind of conservative banks, at least in Germany they are maybe the main part of the German bank landscape. You can be sure that it will take them years to even recognize a need to support Google or Samsung Pay. I still see a lot of potential for Curve to become the default answer to “How can I use XY Pay although my bank says it doesn’t support it?”.

Speaking e. g. of Google Pay in the short run, I hope that Curve is quick enough to get customers aboard that want to use Google Pay now and do not want to wait for their bank’s offering and that way grow Curve’s user base and popularity.

In the long run, if all your banks have native support for Google, Apple, Samsung, Fitbit and Garmin Pay, I still see Curve’s USP in providing the offerings that your banks fail to provide.

Not only Go Back in Time, but:

• Transparent pricing
  • Cheap FX Rates
  • Free / Cheaper cash withdrawals
  • Quick adaptation of new integrations with new platforms or e. g. your Banking App
  • Reliable Customer Protection

New desirable services and integrations will come up which your bank won’t provide to you in short term. That’s where I still see a big USP for Curve in the future - as a pioneer for such service offerings.

You might wonder about “cash withdrawals” being a point for me long term, but I really think so: Cash is slowly disappearing (with Germany a little behind), but that makes it more important to have cash on demand and to be also able to get rid of it.

Classic ATMs will disappear over the time, and we need innovators such as Curve to explore new solutions to get and to get rid of cash such as cooperations with retail chains. Because a big number of banks will fail to do so.
Also (most) ATMs are not usable with virtual but only physical cards, hence we need solutions if we want to pursue the way of not having to carry a physical card.

Let me conclusively offer criticism and state where I personally don’t see Curve’s future USP: For me, that is a P2P solution such as Curve Send.
Subjectively thousands of P2P services pop up every night, and every business having to do with finance try to position their solution. The market leader I think is PayPal, but also the German traditional banks come up with solutions, N26, Revolut and friends had it as part of their portfolio from their beginnings, and Klarna abondened their German offering.
By definition, this can’t be a USP if everybody does it. Curve can in my opinion only succeed with that if it either becomes the biggest player or has outstanding features that make users decide for Curve Send instead of PayPal. Battling PayPal in becoming the bigger player however appears to me as a battle that can’t be won by a startup.

1 Like

In Finland, 4/10 of common domestic banks support Google Pay. At least one of the others has their own mobile payment app supporting NFC on Android.

I fully agree with the P2P comment. The market is overcrowded with local and multi-country players already. Looking at the nordic market, local players have managed to gain a strong foothold with what I feel are two key features in P2P payments, especially with people who aren’t tech savvy or trust foreign 3rd parties:

• Payments using a phone number. In many situations you already have this info even if the recipient is not in your contacts (e.g. paying for 2nd hand items).
  • Payments are sent directly to recipients IBAN account, so no need to open a new account somewhere, or figure out how you can get your money out of some virtual wallet.