How does Go Back in Time work?

Go Back in Time allows you to move transactions made on using your Curve Mastercard® from one funding card in your Curve app to another. It’s free, and can be done entirely in-app.

You can use GBiT to move any purchase under £1000 with your Curve Mastercard® up to 14 days after it was made.

If you receive a refund after we have moved the transaction to another card, we will process the refund* to the card which the transaction has been moved to with ‘GBiT’. If you received a partial refund before moving the transaction, we will only move the charge left over; you will not be charged and refunded again.

Which transactions you can move with Go Back in Time

You can move your transactions onto any funding card which you have added and verified with Curve.

You can’t move transactions onto your rewards card.

The transactions you can move must be:

• Fewer than 14 days old
  • Under £1000
  • Completed ( pending transactions can’t be moved)

Any single eligible transaction can be moved only once with Go Back in Time.

Trying to move a EUR transaction to a GBP card, or vice versa?

You can move transactions in different currencies to a card which has the same currency as either the original funding card or the currency originally billed for that transaction.

To give some examples:

• A GBP purchase made on a GBP card can be moved to a GBP card only
  • A EUR purchase made on a GBP card can be moved to a GBP or EUR card
  • A EUR purchase made on a EUR card can be moved to a EUR card only

How to move a transaction

If you see a transaction that would be better off on a different card, you have the chance to move it somewhere else up to two weeks later. It can be moved only once, so choose wisely!

From either the home screen or your Timeline, firstly tap the transaction you wish to move:

Scroll to the bottom of the transaction and tap ‘Go Back in Time’ (under ‘Transaction Features’):

Scroll along the carousel to select the card you want to move the transaction to. The new card must be verified and in the same currency as either the original card or the currency originally billed.

Once you have confirmed that you would like to move the transaction, you will receive confirmation. Please note you can only ever move a transaction once.

How does this actually work behind the scenes. Do you just refund card A and re-charge card B?

What happens if the funds haven’t yet been taken from card A?

How it actually works:
You have card A charged because you forgot to switch to card B before making the payment.
You then select the transaction, click on GbiT, chose card B and voila, its done.
How GBiT works behind the scenes:
Curve tries to charge your card B, if it works, they instantly refund the transaction on card A.
If it fails, you will see an error in the app and you can try to charge a different card / try it again later when you have enough money on card B again (or if the bank B is online again in case they having technical difficulties)

3 Likes

Thanks Lucas.

Regards,

Paul

Ok, this is useful but let me add a real event and perhaps you can explain what may have happened here.

1. Made purchase successfully with card A
  2. Went back in time some minutes later to card B
  3. No refund (they’re normally instant or seconds later)
  4. Approached Curve and Monzo (my bank)
  5. Monzo refunded me
  6. Immediate further charge applied to Monzo account by merchant

Question for me is, why had the merchant not acknowledged or processed the GBIT?

(NB final refund of second charge came through 24 hours later)

This does sound weird and I expect only Curve support, after looking at your account, could explain.

I think it’s worth contacting them if it’s (understandably) affected your confidence in the feature.

The merchant should have nothing to do with GBIT, as they only see the Curve card.

Would be interested to hear what happened once you get a response :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah - didn’t know that.
@Curve_Herman, any thoughts - for the record?

Thanks @JackO

My guess is that Monzo reapplied the charge because they still hadn’t seen the refund coming through at that point and probably shouldn’t have refunded you until they could see it in their system…it’s possible that Curve’s systems were slow in processing the GBIT transactions? Of course that could be completely wrong :grinning:

Definitely needs Curve to explain the technicalities behind GBIT which should help with our understanding and hopefully answer your query. The previous posts in this thread don’t really give much more than a high level summary of what GBIT does.

You probably already know this, but one thing to note is that Starling and Monzo (and presumably other ‘new’ banks) work differently with payments and reversals than traditional banks and Credit card providers. Payments show straight away (although interest is calculated on the original balance until the payment actually leaves your account a few days later) where as the others will just show a reduced available balance until the payment leaves your account. Thankfully some do now allow you to see all pending payments.

Reversals are similar in so much as with Starling (and no doubt Monzo) the charge is refunded/reversed as soon as GBIT is processed, but traditional banks and Credit Cards can take up to 5 days to reverse (i.e. for the available balance to go back to what it should be).

1 Like

Thanks for that, @bells

Can’t really say for sure @Graham :thinking:

I’d say this is likely the case, definitely one for our support team to look into as they can see what’s happening with your transactions. You can reach them at support@curve.app :+1:

I would like to know. How?

How does go back in time work?

I’m curious as Curve mentions you can use the feature to basically have less money block for longer.

How does this work considering I’ve used it before and had both authorizations pending at once before, meaning I was actually £20ish down in usable balance rather than £20ish up.

Granted it wasn’t an issue as I wasn’t using it to gain money back, but because I had used the wrong card.

One use case I can think of is if you offset the balance to a credit card so in effect you get up to 56 days interest free credit.

Hi Curve community, I’ve been a Curve user for about a year and today used the Time Travel feature for the first time, but unsure how the process works, I did a purchase and 15min later noticed that I had the wrong card selected, so used this feature, but now looking at both accounts, I’m getting charged on both, none of the accounts have actually been charged yet, just the available balance is negative for the amount I paid in this transaction, does the time travel feature charge both accounts and then refund the initial account? Can’t seem to find an explanation how this feature really works, would appreciate if someone could clear this out.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, that is how the ‘Go Back in Time’-feature works.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, one more questions, how long does the refund normally takes?

For me that depended on the underlying card, between a couple of hours and a day.

1 Like

No refund clears in a couple of hours

:cry:

For me it did…not for all my cards, but for at least one (Revolut) it did.

I’d give it a few days - refunds always seem to take longer.