Metal Card Annual Subscription cheaper in €. Why?

Is there any reason why it so much cheaper for the annual subscription in Euros, currently in Euros about £20 cheaper. Is there some extra euro tax that balances the difference?

Hey Mac, welcome to the community! We generally use a wholesale rate called Currency Layer that is sourced from a very broad base of commercial sources and banks around the world. I’m not too sure about this, though, so I’ll need to check for you!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Keira,

I would also have thought that being a British company, the other currencies would be converted from £, not as it appears the other way around.

Hopefully there is a fairer way to charge in Sterling? I’d like a Metal card but not sure at a 15% premium over the Euro-cost.

Regards

I think this is same way Apple, Samsung and others set their prices. For example the Iphone 12 at launch was £799, $799, €799. I don’t know how they settle for such an arrangement

3 Likes

I’ve just cancelled my Metal subscription which just renewed two days ago as I’m just not getting the benefit from it which is a shame.

Hey Nick,

Was Metal a close financial decision, or are there nowhere near enough advantages to make it worthwhile for you?

So, I had metal from July last year.

Mobile Insurance - I broke my phone and AXA were so unhelpful, as I have experienced from them in the past. I sent my phone off for repair and was told it was beyond repair, AXA would not accept an “online” assessment and wanted me to take the phone into a physical store when they were all closed due to the pandemic. I have had bad experience with AXA before and took them to the Financial Ombudsmen when they failed to pay a claim - the Ombudsmen found in my favour and AXA had to pay up.

Travel insurance - I’m unlikely to travel overseas until next year so I will “waste” six months of insurance cover. The insurance again is with AXA and I simply have no faith in them.

Airport lounges - as above, no travel = no airport lounge use.

1% cashback at six retailers - I would have to spend £1000’s to get my £150 membership fee back.

Therefore based on the above, I simply cannot justify £150 for the metal card, which I hardly ever use (as in get the physical card out of my wallet) as I use Google Pay.

3 Likes

Keira,
Have you an update on the fees, were you able to find out anything?
Regards