Monzo Plus Re-Launched

Hi all,

To those that are not aware, I’ve just seen that Monzo Plus is relaunching soon with the following features for £5 per month:

See your other bank accounts in Monzo

Get a clear view of your finances by adding your other bank accounts and credit cards to Monzo. See your balances and transactions, and move money around with easy bank transfers. Terms and conditions apply.

Get our new holographic card

Our brand new card, exclusive to Monzo Plus. With a reflective holographic layer and our Monzo logo on hot-stamped foil. Your details are kept neatly on the back of the card for a minimalist design.

Create your own custom categories

Create your own categories to break down your spending, your way. Plus, divide single payments into multiple categories, like separating your supermarket purchase into food and wine.

Stay safe online with virtual cards

We’re all spending more online these days, so it’s important to protect yourself. Keep your physical card details safe from fraudsters by using virtual cards for online payments.

The money you spend comes from your balance, just like with your actual Monzo card. Virtual cards are especially handy for managing online subscriptions.

And so much more:

• :dollar: Interest on your balance and regular Pots – Earn 1.00% AER/Gross (variable) interest on your account balance and money in regular Pots (not including Savings Pots) up to £2,000. We’ll pay you the interest at the end of each month.

• :shopping: Offers – Like 15% off Patch plant and plant pot orders over £50. As well as 25% off a Fiit home workout membership and 20% off an annual subscription to Babylon Health. These may change over time. Conditions apply.

• :up: Advanced roundups – We can round up a payment to the nearest pound and put your spare change in a Pot. We’ll multiply your spare change by 2, 5 or 10. With the 2 times advanced roundup on, spending £1.90 would put 20p (10p x 2 = 20p) in a separate Pot.

• :eyes: Credit Tracker – See your TransUnion credit score and track how it changes each month. With helpful information about what a credit score is and how to improve yours.

• :bar_chart: Auto-export transactions – If you want us to, we’ll add your transactions to a single Google Sheet as they happen, so you can get to know your money better. Then add your own tables and graphs. You can turn auto-export on and off whenever you like.

• :bank: 1 free cash deposit a month – Pay in cash once a month for free. Just go to one of the 28,000 PayPoints across the UK to pay your money in.

• :atm: £400 fee-free cash withdrawals abroad – Take out up to £400 in cash when you’re abroad every 30 days, fee-free. That’s double the amount you can take out with our free, original Monzo account. Perfect for when we can all go away again.

Plus, everything you get with our free account”

————————————————————

So with all this in mind, the features that stand out to me that could be able to be implemented into Curve Black / Metal are:

• Virtual Cards (Able to have 5 live at a time and total of 100 total virtual cards)

• Possible offers when paid using Curve online.

• Custom Categories / Sub Categories- would be nice to see this on curve so you can fully put certain shopping trips under specific umbrellas.

But all in all, I don’t see this being worth £5 a month. Maybe the fact for anyone who uses Monzo as their main account and get the 1 free cash deposit and the TransUnion subscription for anyone who needs it? But Experian is free so I feel that’s kind of an invalid benefit :man_shrugging:t2:

What are your guys thoughts?:slight_smile:

EDIT 1 - updated virtual card quantity

1 Like

Yeah, that’s very weird. I think get most of that with my bank for free (Open banking as a paid feature? Really?).

Offers when using Curve online would be nice, although cashback is quite a good offer by itself. Maybe some additional promos would be cool.

Also, isn’t the Curve Blue/Black card already holographic? Maybe I don’t understand what they mean by that.

2 Likes

Exactly right? Why promote Open Banking as a PBA feature? Astounds me!

Yeah I think it’d be something nice to just get an additional few percent at certain places at certain times e.g. Amazon during prime week or constant offers e.g. Cornerstone 15% back on subscriptions

And I don’t remember by Curve Blue card being holographic? Correct me if I’m wrong though! I just think the logo on the top right is silver / multicoloured depending on where it shines maybe?

1 Like

I feel that most of the features offered with MONZO Plus can be found for free on multiple different apps, for example Curve and Yolt. So it just makes it better to have it all in one app. Would be a nice addition to curve to have the Yolt feature.

Edit: Yolt is an app which you can add your accounts to and see your balances, purchases and lots more

1 Like

I think they may add further budgeting tools down the line if people want it enough but I’m looking forward to the day they implement store cards / store reward programmes into the app! That’ll thin my wallet down even more :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’ve used Yolt for a couple fo years and whilst it’s a nice premise, in practice its awkward, slow and not really fit for purpose.

I do very much like the Virtual Card Idea, something Curve should adopt ASAP and ideally before its ubiquitous.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m a huge advocate for virtual cards as it would help keep customers actual details safer and also help stop replacement cards being sent out if customers cards are compromised!

Hopefully soon then! :crossed_fingers:

So I’ve just seen Monzo have announced what appears to be Curves competition… I’ve not fully read as of yet, and I don’t use Monzo, but thoughts?

I don’t think Curve have to worry about Monzo being competition as they are two different products with different ISP’s.

Monzo is just a digital only bank account - like Starling!

1 Like

Yeah, Monzo is a UK-only digital bank account. Completely different to Curve’s business, consider I can’t even use Monzo in my country (and not that I’d want to, if this is what they offer on a paid plan).

1 Like

Thanks @poeliev I didn’t see this post!

1 Like

I was really hoping they’d allow multiple cards associated to one account with Monzo Plus.

I travel a lot and losing my card (for the millionth time) is always a fear.

As someone who is willing to pay for a main current account (but doesn’t currently…) this is pretty meh.

Most of the discounts/offers are available elsewhere or similar ones are available. All of the banking features can be had for free (and often better) with other banks/fintechs.

If there was a disposable card and you could tie virtual cards to pots (a’la Starling) I’d consider it just for that. If they threw in cards for kids on top of that then the convenience would have won me over.

£5/month seems like a sensible price point. Perhaps the problem here is their basic offering was too good and they made us expect more for our money?

Very disappointed to see them cosying up with private healthcare providers.

1 Like

monzo = UK only.
So, not for me.

£5 a month for features I can get from Revolut & Starling for free! No thanks!

2 Likes

Virtual cards are offered as standard & FREE with Revolut. I’ve never understood Monzo’s marketing aiming at the young people, who are the least likely to be brand loyal. I am sure Starling and Revolut will both long outlive Monzo.

Rev isnt a proper bank for one and are legendary with account freezes.
I think its not a bad offering tbh. Not many offer the fullness of whats included wrapped up in one app. Yes there are ways to work around each feature using other apps but Monzo has put it all cleanly in one app.

Also the blue/purple hologram design does seem to be a (higher-end) rip off of Revolut’s basic card…

How do we get the new card design updated on Curve card images for monzo?

1 Like
1 Like