Prompted for pin at gas pump

I have never in my life been promoted for a pin at a gas pump, but using Curve today it happened. Is that normal?

I used the bypass option and it allowed me to proceed. However I did get a fraud alert from the underlying card, but not sure if that’s related or not.

1 Like

Another gas pump, another prompt for a pin and another fraud alert from my bank. Any way to get this to stop?

1 Like

When on holiday in the US several times using any European card (including my EU Curve card) I was always asked for a pin at the gas station.
I know not really an answer to your question, but can’t really say I am surprised you are asked for a pin when using your Curve card at the gas station.

Thanks for the reply! Just very odd here, the US doesn’t really use chip and pin yet. What would the pin be for my Curve? Is it the same as my app pin?

For me (EU Curve card) the card pin and the app pin are different. I am able to check my card pin in the Curve app on the account tab under card details (see screenshot below) but I don’t know if it’s the same in the US Curve app.
I am pretty certain your US Curve card does have a pin code, otherwise it would be close to impossible to use it when on holiday in UK or Europe.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the card details button just provides the card number, expiration date, and CVV. There is no option to see a PIN.

At this point, basically zero US-issued cards have PINs. Out of all my cards, I only have one which has it, which is a corporate card for my work.

Just out of interest…how do yet get money with such a card from an ATM? You don’t need to enter a pin?

Yep, all debit cards have a PIN for ATMs. But this isn’t a PIN for chip and pin typically. Some credit cards do allow ATM withdrawals and would have a PIN for that. But very little adoption of chip and pin here so far.

Can confirm, in the USA we don’t use pins on credit cards.

If we use a debit card, we have to enter a pin. If you use a debit card to make a purchase, you can select the option to use “as credit” which will let it process without a pin as well.

For credit cards, I don’t think I’ve ever used a pin. For online purchases we have to enter the “CVC/SECURITY CODE” most of the time.

I’ve never used a credit card to withdraw cash at an ATM (because interest rates and fees for doing this are insane) but I would assume you probably need a pin for that, but I’ve never tried.

I have several credit cards, and if I was asked for a pin on ANY of them I wouldn’t even know what it was.

USA feels so weird sometimes (like living century back in time) from EU based ppl perspective.

1 Like