Refunds - Another 'coming soon' promise broken

I quote from the Curve blog of 6th August 2020:

“If you have a refund sitting in your Curve Cash card right now, you can spend it immediately but can’t move it to another card just yet. We’re working on making this possible very soon, and will update you as soon as it is.”

Three months on and no news.

I had a partial refund credited back to Curve Cash (not sure why it couldn’t be returned to the underlying card but that’s not the point I’m making) and it’s now stuck there (most transactions are larger than the refund).

Come on Curve, you need to keep your promises!

i remember when the wirecard parnership ended and for a wee while, refunds went to curve cash by default. everybody was so angry!

1 Like

Hey @jmark.stevenson, just want to let you know that our team are still working on this feature but - as you know - it’s taking longer than we thought it would. Completely understand your frustration about it!

I actually liked the idea of the refund going to Curve Cash and I think it should be a choice in the settings. I’ve recently had a few flight refunds and the original transactions were made on a card I don’t use regularly now. The refunds going to cash means I can use them to pay another credit card.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s a great use case. Personally I’m of the same opinion, give us an option to select where the refund goes (or set one up by default e.g. all refunds go to underlying card or Curve cash)

If there was a choice then that’s fine, but at the moment I’ve got an (admittedly small) refund that I can’t access. If curve cash could be used for partial payment and the balance taken from another card that would also be fine. The point is ‘coming soon’ seems to be defined differently by Curve, meaning some time in the future!

Another month passes in the “coming soon” saga. Prioritizing new gimmicks such as bank balance display over bug fixing and other facilities already promised much earlier is going to annoy existing users. As an investor I’m all for Curve building the business but let’s get the basics sorted first.

1 Like

I have also had a lot of refunds to my Curve card which get stuck in Curve Cash. Really don’t like the fact that any of my refunds seem to get defaulted to Curve Cash and not to the original payment card.

One dirty hack that worked for me was to open up a Revolut account, add the exact Curve Cash amount to that account from your Curve card (select Curve Cash as underlying funds), then transfer the money back to your bank account.

It’s not ideal but at least you get the money in your hands and not held in the ether that you can’t really spend. It’s helped me with a few holiday refunds which otherwise would have been ‘stuck’ for God knows how long.

Agree though that Curve needs to have a proper solution for this so you don’t have to work around the system.

1 Like

Thanks for the hack. I used something similar to transfer the refund to another bank account, but as you say we shouldn’t need to do this. The transfer from Curve Cash to another card can’t be that difficult technically so I suspect there is some other hurdle stopping it. But they promised it back in August last year so I’m disappointed with lack of progress.

Only GBP

Not ideal

Indeed. I think having the option to get refunds to Curve Cash would be one of the killer features, together with free FX and GBiT. I really hope Curve implements it… Right now refunds go Merchant → Curve (may or may not get a notification, not easy to figure out what happened in the app) → (some unspecified amount of time) underlying card you might not even be using anymore. It’s one of my biggest points of friction with Curve. Even just having the refund land initially in Curve Cash and having the option to then send it to the original card would improve things massively.

1 Like

Hi @Hannah , so six months on and still no news - not even a possible date? What is the problem? Is it technical, financial or task priority?

1 Like

Hey @jmark.stevenson, we’re still actively working on this feature but we’ve run into a few technical issues along the way. We’re ironing these issues out in test so that you don’t experience them when it’s launched. We can’t give an exact timeframe right now but rest assured we’re working on bringing it to you as soon as possible!

is the feature likely to come out imminently?

@ac we’re working on launching it as soon as we can!