Smart Rules Feedback

Can you add a category for Service Stations (Gas)?

Can you add a category for Service Stations (Gas) and or add rules using Merchant Codes (MCC)?

1 Like

Great feature! As mentioned before already it would be really great to assign merchants to cards.

Like i always want to pay netflix with a certain card and spotify with a different one.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Thank you for everyone’s feedback so far, this is incredibly helpful to let the team know they’re on the right track- Keep it coming!

2 Likes

Good feature! It would be really useful if the rules included the currency and the country where the payment/withdrawal is made.

I have been a Curve Metal customer since June 2019. I have long awaited the ability to set rules for certain purchases, and I can see it is now there which should be great. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to use it so far, as the categories are too arbitrary and aren’t customisable. I have a corporate card added to Curve, and I have certain expenses I always want to send there. They are always from the same vendors, but the purchases all come up under different things. I would like it if I can select certain vendors to assign to a new category, so that whenever I make a purchase from one of these vendors it always goes to the corporate card.

Additionally, it would be great if you can create textual rules for categories based on the transaction description - for example, if the description contains the words “British A” (meaning British Airways) always assign to the category “business expenses” and then use my corporate card.

Finally, the ability to make a SINGLE purchase on a card then switch back to the default card would save me a LOT of hassle. I am forever making corporate purchases then forgetting to switch it back, then having to GBIT a whole load of transactions then create a special expense claim explaining why I have a load of personal transactions (albeit refunded) on my corporate card. This would make the BIGGEST difference!

2 Likes

And ++++1 for sticky transactions - should be easy to identify a particular transaction and pin it to a particular card - maybe you could offer this as part of the GBIT flow - “would you like all transactions that match this one to go to the chosen card in the future?”

2 Likes

I only became aware of them yesterday, and could make do with one as would be possible on the OG. That rule would be for purchases in whole pounds to be charged to a specific card, however it seems it isn’t possible to d this.

Yeah this one must be a very common use case. It’s not like you would use one card by default one day and another card by default the next :slight_smile: You will always have one default and then temporarily want to charge some other card for the next purchase (same as how apple pay card selection works)

1 Like

New Curve user here, so apologies if some of this has already been discussed or even settled. In terms of additional rules, the following would be great (and some of them were mentioned before:

• transaction currency
  • transaction country (for cards that have a fee for foreign transaction disregarding currency)
  • wildcard rule based on merchant name
  • specific merchant rule (could be selected from transaction history)
  • days of the month (to optimize billing cycles. e.g., use card X on 1-15, card Y 16-24, card X 25-31),

Until then, I guess GBiT is your best friend.

Can you add gas pumps :fuelpump: category?

1 Like

I guess it will take a long time (years?) to implement the smart rules as requested by different people. Although, I think that providing a text rule based on transaction description (which usually includes the merchant’s name, as well) would probably cover 90% of most people’s needs.

However…

If you really want to give flexible tool for people that need it (and are willing to pay for it), consider doing the following:

Just have an option for an (internal or external) web-service through an URL. Provide all the available transaction data in an XML format, then POST this XML to a user-provided URL. Read the reply and parse the answer from the returning XML, then act upon it.

Here’s an example:

<transaction id="hjsd732abd623">
   <amount>12.35</amount>
   <currency>EUR</currency>
   <description>Amazon.de</description>
   <MCC>34</MCC>
   <time>2022-06-17T12:40:33.183</time>
   <categoryId>6</categoryId>
</transaction>

And the webservice would answer with something like this:

<selection id="hjsd732abd623">
   <cardIndex>2</cardIndex>
   <categoryId>8</categoryId>
</selection>

Needless to say, one could do just about anything with this approach. You just provide every bit of transaction data that can be safely shared (of course, underlying use of SSL encryption is expected), and then just leave it to the user to choose the underlying card under whatever algorithm he chooses to implement.

You could also provide a small hosting service for people who do not own (and do not wish to own/rent) any webserver space by simply letting people upload their algorithm source code through the app, and then executing the simple if-then-else script on your own server. You could use Javascript, PHP, or whatever is the simplest for you.

But in general, I think you should let people (who know how to) provide their own decision logic, to be implemented however they choose and hosted wherever they choose - you only need to know the URL where to post the transaction. Of course, for safety reasons and execution speed, you should treat any such script with some care:

• if the called webservice doesnt return in, say, 500 milliseconds, you stop waiting and proceed as normal (as if there was no script)
  • if the returned content is longer than, say, 100 characters, you simply drop it (somebody is trying something funny)
  • if the returned content is not parsable as XML, you simply ignore it
  • if the returned content doesn’t adhere to specified XML schema, you also ignore it

I think this approach would be great. It would give everybody a chance to do whetever he wants and enable to few of those out there, which would like some more complex logic (based maybe on some external data, like, whether the available amount on some underlying card is sufficient or not, which could be gotten in real time by calling some other webservice in the background, etc…) the ability to really push this, if needed. Just give me 500 ms of timeout and let me work out the answer for you, ok?

The answer, of course, is the network-safe id of the underlying card which should be selected and possibly the Curve category under which the transaction should be filed. Both pieces of data in the response are optional, one would be allowed to use either one of those, or both at the same time.

4 Likes

I am no longer able to add an amount smart rule.
iOS app version 3.59.0.

Number of smart rules depends on your plan - see Curve Plans Comparison

I am a metal customer. I deleted all rules but still could not add the amount rule. I just end up on a blank screen.
Unfortunately the site is not allowing me to upload photos

Hi, @Daddykay. Thanks for your feedback. Do you get any specific error when you try to add the smart rule? Thanks.

No error message. It is blank screen instead of showing my cards to choose from.

Thanks, it was to collect as much information as possible.

Ah, I actually checked it and you are right - this is what I see if I try to add a rule (iOS, v3.59.0):

Same issue (build 31586)