Support for Multi-Currency Cards

This suggestion would be great. I also have that problem from time to time.

For example with my Bunq or N26 card that already have an excellent exchange rate, I must be changing the currency in my application to not have a currency exchange.

But there are times when I forget to make the change and I end up paying double double currency exchange.

This is because I have my bunq card for example with the currency that I used previously (USD, CHF ETC) selected and I make a payment in euro.

As some said, there should be the option to be able to choose the multi currency option so that the original currency of the transaction is applied automatically.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I think that the currency pass-through have already been mentioned in this forum, and I figured out that it was not possible due to Curve’s restriction. I then figured out… Why not making currency pass-through when it is possible, and charge the underlying card in the defined currency when it’s not.

At first, I call “currency pass-through” the ability from Curve to charge my underlying card in the transaction currency, whatever my card’s currency is.
As an example, let’s say that I have a Monzo card in GBP, and I’m travelling in Europe. I pay in euros in Germany, and my Monzo card is automatically charged in euros. I then cross the czech-german border, and then pay in CZK on the other side, and my Monzo card is charged in CZK without any action from me, and without any conversion from Curve.

The limit here is where the transaction is un a currency that Curve doesn’t support (let’s say MXN). The Curve will need to convert the currency because it is unable to charge the underlying card in MXN, as long as this currency isn’t supported by Curve.

But why not making pass-through ONLY when it’s possible ?

Let’s say that, in the card currency menu, you can tick an option saying “prefer currency pass-through”, PLUS you select a currency for your card.

One more time, an example :
I am travelling in Asia. My underlying card in this example is in EUR. In China, I am paying with my curve card in CNY. CNY is supported by Curve, so Curve does charge my underlying card in CNY. I then head to Japan, and I pay in JPY. JPY is supported by Curve, so my underlying card is charged in JPY.
I then head to South Korea. KRW isn’t supported by Curve, so Curve converts the amount from KRW to EUR, and charges my underlying card in EUR.

This is even more interesting when we talk about multi-currency accounts. I am thinking about Revolut, Transferwise, or even Vivid for our german friends !
In fact, bank accounts that allows you to hold multiple currencies at once.

Let’s say that I’m french (lol I really am) and I usually travel to Canada. I have a Revolut account with balances in both CAD & EUR. With the pass-through solution, when I pay in Canada with my Curve Card, Curve does charge my Revolut account in CAD, and my CAD balance on Revolut is debited, without any conversion. When I head back to France, I can then spend in EUR and my EUR balance is debited, again without any conversion.

Currently, getting this work involve having an internet connection everywhere, which isn’t always the case while travelling. To continue with my example, if I don’t have internet in Canada, I cannot change my underlying card’s currency in Curve, and my Revolut EUR account will be debited for a CAD transaction, while my Revolut CAD balance will remain untouched.

I hope Curve team will look at my proposition. I am always ok for any precision about this topic. Thanks for reading and have a nice day !

3 Likes

It will be highly complucated to explain that to a regular user, like my dad.

He is quite probably the exact opposite type of user. When he travels, he prefer that Curve does the currency conversion an charge his card in home currency. Thereby he avoids his regular credit card’s fees for currency conversions.

I can’t imagine that, during a trip to Canada, you won’t have time to manually change currency your Revolut card is charges in. After all, a trip to Canada does take a respectable amount of hours, surely you’d have five minutes during such a long trip to do the change.

That’s not an option for all users, of course, but only for the ones that needs it.

Changing the currency manually is ok, but involves a few problems :
It technically can be done automatically so it isn’t user-friendly.
When you don’t have an internet connection on departure or arrival, you cannot then change the currency (cf my example with Revolut EUR & CAD)

It would be cool as an additionnal feature for people who need it. Of course, I’m talking about muti-currency accounts and accounts that basically charges no fees for currency conversion. It’s obvious that this functionnality is useless if you have an underlying card that charges you 2% on every transaction in a foreign currency :slight_smile:

Probably I don’t fully understand your idea, because I don’t really see the point.

I mean, you compare to Revolut, but it is not that Revolut ‘changes’ your underlying card to the wanted currency, the thing is that your Revolut account is a multi-currency one, so it takes the money from the matching currency if available.

In the case of Curve, they don’t hold our money, just sent the payments to the underlying card, and I understand that you don’t want Curve to make the conversion from the payment currency to your underlying card currency, but let the original card issuer to do it … may I ask you why? One of the advantages of Curve, from my experience, is that most of the times the fx rates are better than my bank, so why would I want my bank making the conversion instead of Curve?

Again, probably I missed something that explains the advantages of your idea.

I understand that my idea can be a bit blurry ;(

I will go deeper in my example :
I have a Revolut account, and a Revolut card linked to Curve.
On that Revolut account, I have two balances :
1560.35 EUR
2345.98 CAD

The advantage of that solution is that when I travel to Canada, when Curve detects that the transaction is in CAD, it will then debit my CAD balance without any action from me. If I travel back to EU, than my EUR balance will be debited because the transaction will be in EUR and Curve will then charge my Revolut card in EUR accordingly.

It is also an advantage for Curve Blue users somehow. While Curve limits the amount of free foreign currency exchange to 500£/month, having this pass-through solution will then let the underlying card do the conversion if the transaction currency is supported by Curve.

Another example :
Let’s say that I’m travelling in Japan, and I want to pay with my Curve Card something at 100 000 JPY (≈ 700 EUR). With the pass-through, my Revolut account will be converting the amount for free, while Curve will charge me 2% fee above 500£.

If I continue my trip to South Korea, and I pay with my Curve Card, Curve will there be handling the KRW - EUR conversion because Curve technically can’t charge my underlying Revolut card directly in KRW.

I don’t know if I’m clearer now, please let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, so if I understand you well, you would like the possibility to set one specific card as ‘currency pass-through’ (for cases like Revolut), but not the default behaviour for all underlying cards, is that right?

Yeah, it makes sense for the case of multi-currency accounts. An even better approach would be to set what specific currencies we don’t want to be converted for a card.

But honestly, I don’t see this in a near future roadmap.

I probably would’t benefit a lot if your suggestion were implemented but I still like having options. However, why would Curve implement this if they will lose out on conversion fees especially for Blue users (like me)?

That does make it a little clearer although if you’re mainly using it for that and are happy with Revolut’s conversion rates then it sound like it might be better just using it directly? I think it does all sound a bit complex when then combining with Curve and can’t see many users utilising it.

Agree. And for me the jackpot would be, if a timer could be set. Let Curve do the conversion on weekdays, but in the weekend just do a pass through (and let the underlying card do the conversion). When on holiday in a non-Euro country I am doing this manually to avoid the weekend mark-up charged by Curve.
But this option is probably too much to ask, because this would not be in Curve’s interest at all.

2 Likes

Any response from curve?

Now you can only choose a specific currency for each funding card. It would be great to have the option to charge a funding card with the transaction currency directly. This would be particularly useful for Revolut / TransferWise or similar multi currency card with it’s own internal mid-market exchange rate.

You can already vote for that here:

Currently, Curve App only allows you to set one currency for any linked card.

But, my credit card supports both usd/euro.
So, I don’t need curve to convert currency for me no matter what currency the transaction is (euro or usd).

More generally, It’s better to have a rule based system to choose card automatically, like by currency, by vendors.

1 Like

Or, for any linked card, I would like there is a “no currency convert” option. Curve just send the payment to the card directly when the option is checked.

2 Likes

That would also works with go back in time
If 2 cards are set to no currency

The best option!

Yes, I too wish there was a no convert option. I use 3 currencies regularly (plus sometimes USD for online shopping) and prefer my main underlying card to do the fx for me. It is sooo annoying having to always keep in mind to check/set the currency in Curve app before payments.

It just happened to me today that I forgot to switch and got unnecessarily charged Curve’s weekend extra FX fee :cry:

It will be great, if will be possilbe more curencies than one for underling card. I have bank account with more currencies, if transaction come in eur, it taking money from eur, if in czk, it is decluded from czk account… So if will be settuped more currenciech, these curencies shouldn’t be converted on your side. If different currenci will come, will be used default main currency(so if will be possible settup main currency+additional directly used without conversion on Curve side)

The easiest solution in the first place would be to have a setting for each card to disable conversion through Curve.
So if I have a card that offers a better conversion rate I’d simply disable the automatic conversion for this card but can still have Curve convert charges that go to other cards.

1 Like