Two years on from Curve Black 'legacy'

I haven’t posted on here before, although I have been an active forum reader, and a beta tester over the past few years on and off. This will likely only be of interest to those who originally joined Curve Black (Paid), before the rollout of the newer subscription products, including the Curve Black (Free) and Curve Black (Legacy) tiers to which we were all moved. I am not aware of statistics having been shared on the numbers in each of these categories.

In terms of product roadmap and planning for the future, where do Curve Black (Legacy) customers and Curve Black (Free) customers - the same people just depending whether they jumped through a few hoops in the right window - fit in? With the inability to return to Curve Black (Legacy) after is the hope that these customers will slowly disappear by migrating to paid subscription product lines? And of the people who managed to meet all the conditions, will Curve’s budget sheet support free benefits for them for life, and even so is that fair to new subscribers or to those moved to the Curve Black (Legacy) tier when they would prefer to have been moved to Curve Black (Free)?

Are others - bearing in mind this is from the same group of people - moved to the new Curve Black (Legacy) tier and now denied the option to move to the - clearly superior - Curve Black (Free) tier disappointed with the way that this awkward transition has been handled? Do you feel fairly treated? The short period offered to meet these conditions did not take into account that not all would have been in the position to meet those requirements at that time, whether for reasons of health or disability, or any number of other reasons. Granted, there may well be those for whom the lack of added insurance benefits was a reason to refuse to be moved, as I have read some cite this as a concern, although this is likely to be a minority given the other benefits on offer. But without having statistics it is difficult to know how many find themselves in this position completely through choice.

It would be helpful to hear from others who may have been forced to accept being moved to Curve Black (Legacy) and what their reasons for missing the boat so to speak were. Did you choose not to avail yourself of the free benefits ‘for life’ that were always expected in some form, once this surprise offer was made? Or did you simply find out after the fact that you lost that opportunity and resigned yourself to not being able to do anything about it. I count myself among this number, as I experienced an extended period of mental ill-health and was unable to handle my affairs. The only ever response from Curve to this has been that it is not possible to be moved, no matter the reason for being unable to meet the conditions imposed at the time.

How does the Community think Curve should handle these issues going forward? If as seems to be the case Curve does not have the technical capability to migrate Curve Black (Legacy) customers to the Curve Black (Free) subscription or to offer a reduced subscription price, should something else be offered? NB: Moving to any other Curve product loses the benefits of the Curve Black (Legacy) tier forever, which apart from the black card I guess is the higher fair foreign exchange limits and ATM withdrawal benefits.

1 Like

No, it was made clear at the time, once you switch from Curve Black Legacy there is no way back. It was made clear on multiple occasions.

I myself am a Curve black Legacy user which didn’t switch because I didn’t like the strong arm tactics that I thought was used at the time.

The people that did switch hopefully weighed up the pros and cons and came to a decision which was right for them.

Thanks for your question.

1 Like

That’s a bit condescending. You seem to be answering a question which hasn’t been asked. Did you read the post?

1 Like

To be honest, I’m lost reading your post half way through. Probably because it has been such a long time.
I think Curve had offered several solutions at the time but obviously it has been flushed out of my limited memory.
I wouldn’t worry about Curve’s balance sheet for the Free Black. It’s all marginal cost to Curve having those benefits turned on for some early supporters. Amex has several tiers of membership for their charge card depending on when the product was purchased (yes they’re trying to push people off it though)