UK BIN Curve with non-UK Apple

Hi guys :handshake:, I’m trying to add my UK BIN Curve card to my new Apple account but it writes “This payment method is unsupportrd in your region” :confounded: as I’m from the Czech Republic. :czech_republic::eu:

I could ask for national BIN Curve card, I know, that would probably help. But I don’t want now as there is a glitch with the Curve limits so I would be limited to 9000 CZK daily (around 300 GBP) :cold_face:, which sometimes is not enough as you’ll agree for sure.

Also, I could add some of my different Czech bank’s cards, but I don’t want to (e.g. due to FX rates if nothing else).

Have anyone else experienced this? Is there some workaround how to “trick” Apple to be able to add UK BIN Curve card as payment method? :thinking::man_shrugging:

Hey @Petr_Andel,
I have same problem. I cannot shop in the store with the Curve card. I think it’s Apple side protection. Put simply, if it’s a protection, you can’t buy on the store with cards from other countries. It doesn’t make sense, but it is. To get around this, you can use PayPal or Apple Pay.

Thank you @Mattia. Apple support pages say PayPal cannot be used in the Czech Republic… :roll_eyes:

And Apple Pay?

these national BIN cards are crap. my Hungarian BIN card is unusable, i have two ATM declines out of two transactions. POS decline rate is about 30-50 percent. response code is usually insufficient funds, which is ridiculous

on top of that you cannot use go back in time function properly, according to curve 5000 HUF=5000 GBP, so with a CZ BIN your GBIT limit will be 5000 CZK

DON’T ASK FOR NATIONAL BIN! if your only problem is you cannot add the card as payment method to your apple account, live with it. with a new card your curve experience will be bad as hell. i made that mistake, i try to warn everybody

1 Like

The problem is @Mattia I don’t have any Apple device. :astonished: I just have to setup AppleID to be able to use Apple Music (don’t ask why :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Will I be able to set ApplePay even without Apple device? :thinking:

Thank you for warning @tygger. I had that feeling :pleading_face: so I will let those national cards few more time until I ask for one and will hope things will settle down meanwhile… :hugs::poop:

If you don’t have an iPhone, you can’t use Apple Pay. :joy:

Is it even allowed by EU law to forbid a card from a different EU member state?
I know for direct debit its illegal, but many companies still do it, in Germany with lots of phone providers you can only set up direct debit with IBAN DE even thou its illegal to restrict it.

Well, for NFC payments that’s obvious, but for online payments? :thinking: You can pay with Google Pay online even if you don’t have an Android device… :money_mouth_face:

But it doesn’t surprise me as it’s Apple. :crazy_face::apple:

No, it’s not allowed, but nobody cares.

However, once this choice has been made traders should not discriminate against customers within the Union by refusing certain transactions, or by otherwise applying certain different conditions of payment in respect of those transactions, for reasons related to customers’ nationality, place of residence or place of establishment. In that particular context, such unjustified unequal treatment for reasons related to the location of the payment account, the place of establishment of the payment service provider or the place of issue of the payment instrument within the Union should likewise be expressly prohibited. It should be further recalled that Regulation (EU) No 260/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council (16) already prohibits all payees, including traders, from requiring bank accounts to be located in a certain Member State for a payment in euro to be accepted. The trader should remain free to request non-discriminatory charges for the use of a payment instrument, subject to Union law. Moreover, this right is subject to the restrictions introduced by Member States under Article 62(5) of Directive (EU) 2015/2366.