Using curve abroad

Hi there

I am new to Curve and I am utterly confused by the currency thing. Please could someone confirm my understanding for an underlying card in GBP

ATM withdrawals in Eurozone (say in France)

1. Currency set to GBP in app: my card issuer does the conversion and add their conversion fees and charges (exactly the same as if I was using the underlying card in the ATM)
  2. Currency set to EUR in app: curve does the conversion and passes the transaction to my card issuer as a GBP transaction. My card issuer doesn’t think it’s an overseas withdrawal and doesn’t charge me extra fees, except perhaps a cash ATM fee.

Shop purchases in Eurozone (say in France)

1. Currency set to GBP in app: my card issuer does the conversion and add their conversion fees and charges (exactly the same as if I was using the underlying card in the shop)
  2. Currency set to EUR in app: curve does the conversion and passes the transaction to my card issuer as a GBP transaction. My card issuer doesn’t think it’s an overseas withdrawal and doesn’t charge me extra fees.

Or… is the the other way round in terms of setting the currency in the app?

It is the other way around.

1 Like

As @poeliev says you’ve got it the wrong way round. If your card is in GBP and you want Curve to do the conversion then set it as GBP on Curve. If it’s a fee-free card with better rates than Curve then set it to whatever currency you’ll be using (€ in this case) and Curve will pass it straight through without conversion. ATM fees will depend on your underlying card, but many won’t charge when using Curve.

3 Likes

Thanks both. I get it now! The card currency in the App is the currency in which the transaction is passed to your bank/card issuer.

2 Likes