Similar posts have been asked in the past but they are more than a year old (the ones I found).
EDIT: with answers
if I upgrade in app today, will i be able to start using it right away (for online purchases or via Google Pay) by revealing the card number in the app, or does it require the physical card to be activated?
- A: Active immediately for online purchases. New card number and CVC visible in the app. Old card also still active for both online and physical purchases (deactivates when new card is activated in the app).
if not, but since I did upgrade in the app, will the metal perks such as free Fronted, 1% cashback, etc activate for the existing blue card until the metal arrives?
- A: All Metal benefits activate immediately. Does not depend on the physical card.
roughly how long does it take for the physical card to arrive?
- A: 4 days in my case, upgraded in the app on Tue, Sep 21, 2:30pm. Received Sat, Sep 25
am I committing to 1 year or is it on a monthly rolling basis, i.e. can downgrade any time after 1 month?
- A: if paying monthly, can cancel/downgrade any time, but if cancelled within 6 months there is a 50 GBP fee. If paying yearly, then cancelling will not come with any refunds for the remainder of the year
am i correct that the card number will change upon upgrade, and will change again if I downgrade to a different number than my original blue?
- A: can confirm the Metal card number is different. Others confirmed a new number will be issued if downgrading as well.
how often (if ever) can i change the 6 retailers for the 1% cashback?
- A: Officially, never … but unofficially, it’s ambiguous.
is there an exhaustive list of retailers to choose from that i can see before upgrading?
If I don’t activate the physical Metal card in the app, how long will the old Blue card continue to work?
- A: Theoretically, until it expires (see post below from @poeliev), but this needs to be confirmed. I’ll update this answer if I find otherwise. Right now, without activating the physical Metal card, it will only online, while the old Blue card works both in-stores and online.
Many thanks in advance!