Virgin Atlantic Credit Card e-money cash advance

Make no mistake, this is a CURVE problem and here is why:-

Curve are charging with one MCC and not refunding with the same information.

Refunding with different information has resulted in Virgins ability to say the charge stands.

The simply solution is for curve to refund with matching Information.

Virgin will still argue the fee but the argument is substantially weakened if the initial charge and refund is completed same day. If you leave it a week to do the refund then it is a valid charge.

We just all need to move on from the subject and clearly @Curve_Joel has no interest in responding or to getting it resolved.

As it stands, being an investor, I can’t ever see me getting my investment back and I actually want it back.

The business is not the business I first invested in and has focused on expansion in the USA over getting it right in its primary market.

1 Like

I don’t see the complaint here. The issue’s been around for ages. It’s in the T&C’s of your cards.

Curve fronted only works in specific situations. Cash is what you’ll get slugged for if you use a cc to pay off another cc, bc they want to stop manufactured spending.

I got slugged £300 in fees working out a way around this… got there in the end, but it’s a complete baller to pull off

The issue, I suppose, might have been around for ages but until July it didn’t affect Virgin cards - with a decent reward programme which made Curve Fronted worthwhile. It now impacts on NatWest and HSBC cards and Curve Fronted has long been blocked by Barclaycard for payments.

A 5% fee means that there are going to be very few (any?) instances where it makes sense to use the facility. I might have got a 1.5% return for a spend on Virgin Atlantic but that is massively wiped out by a 5% fee and then a cash advance debit interest rate currently at 24.9%.

As a result I’ve cancelled my Curve Metal card as the figures don’t add up especially with the other issues in using Curve.

1 Like

I got charged a fee and intrest from virgin for using my card on paypal!!

You used it on PayPal without Curve right? Did you send money to someone else or was it a normal purchase? If it was a purchase, on what website? Did you split the amount using the “Buy now, pay later” option offered by PayPal?

It was direct from credit card, NOT via curve, and i sent money using friends and family.

Then the charge is perfectly normal, since you did an e-money transaction and not a purchase.
If anything, this just proves it has nothing to do with Curve (nor PayPal).

Yes, Curve can become less appealing for some customers because of this, but one should just get over it instead of keep complaining here (I am not referring to you, @BigTull)

I have got over it. My account closed today, with a refund hopefully on the way.

I’m still interested how this pans out however from a FinTech perspective as Customer Service is nonexistent or fails to follow through with promised updates and the product is devalued both internally and externally. New insurance documentation now shows that hire care hire is inadequate for example, and who knows if a mobile phone is covered if you’re not on holiday? Curve seem to ignored difficult questions. It’s becoming a very good example of how not to run a company, let alone one dealing with money.

:flushed:

What got me is i hane used virgin countless times like this and all of a sudden fees were applied, they told me i was informed but i have nothing from them in my email thats why i was protesting about it.

Hi Paul.ell,
Thanks for all your updates.
Have you had any response from Curve?
I have had the same issue wiith using Curve Fronted and Virgin Atlantic CC to purchase premium bonds. There seems no way to get in contact with Curve cusmtomer services in any meaningful way.

Curve banned premium bond purchasing ages ago so you’ve breached terms and conditions. This is why you have a cash mcc code

I think, in fact I’m pretty certain, that Curve will not respond either by providing a general update that was promised weeks ago, or through individual correspondence. That’s why my Metal account has been closed at my request with a pro-rata refund of the fees arriving as well. Kudos to Curve for managing the account closure very efficiently.

They didn’t.

Hi Guys, I too got done with paying for my amex with curve fronted so cancelled the card, can anyone tell me if Barclaycard avios are more lenient with using my curve to pay my amex and that they dont charge me cash advance fees and interest?

Just to clarify, Curve did not ban payments to NS&I, they limited them to £10k per month.

It’s really interesting that Joel is now actively posting for Curve on the forums but continues to ignore the request from many customers on non-Curve charges for Curve Fronted and possibly any use of Curve with Mastercards. This is even more egregious as he promised an update on the situation six weeks ago. What does it take for Curve to inform customers of what is happening and since when was it acceptable for a FinTech to promise information on charges and then simply ignore this?

Joel, I think to retain any credibility here you need to provide information on what’s happened with Curve and Virgin. You can’t act as a nominated company link and simply not address difficult questions. If that happens what’s the point in offering assistance. Does that assistance just relate to delivering on good news?

This gross mismanagement needs to be challenged not least via the Financial Ombudsman Service. Does Curve’s management of the issues reported in almost every topic on this Forum inspire any confidence of their management of people’s money?

Overall this all might amount to Curve trading when its liquidity is far from assured. Others have mentioned the redundancies in Customer Service staff when more staff are clearly desperately needed. Trading under these circumstances in the UK may be regarded as illegal by the FSA with direct impacts on company management.

1 Like

6 weeks now, what does @Curve_Joel consider to be responding shortly?