We’re holding an NFT auction to support London theatre!

We’re holding an NFT auction to support London theatre!

Hello everybody :wave:

Over the last year we’ve noticed how the London Theatre Community, and the Theatre community in general, has been struggling due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Nearly 40% of theatre and art workers in the UK’s capital have been made redundant and have received very little support from schemes and initiatives.

As Curve values diversity, creativity and art, we’ve decided to do something about this and raise money for this deserving cause.

We’ve created 5 unique NFTs and are holding an online auction to raise money. All proceeds will go to the Theatre Support Fund+, to support the struggling theatre community in London, which was devastated by the impact of Covid. World-renowned artists Dame Judi Dench, Keira Knightley and Phoebe Waller-Bridge have all expressed their support for the cause. You can read more about the amazing work they do here - About Us | Theatre Support Fund +

What’s an NFT?

Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are cryptocurrency tokens which certify ownership of a unique digital file using blockchain technology. The ownership history, item details, and copyright rules are stored on the decentralised network, providing a guarantee of ownership that is unforgeable.

Buying an NFT means you have full ownership of the digital file. Curve’s NFT’s are 100% digital, there won’t be any physical art pieces included in the auction. This is a completely unique opportunity to own a piece of art created by Curve and also raise funds for a very deserving cause.

How can I get involved?

You can take part and place a bid on Curve’s NFT’s by heading to our Rarible site here or by searching Curve_OS. We’ve decided to use Rarible as it’s the first community-owned NFT marketplace and it’s verified and credible.

To place a bid, you must either already have a digital wallet or else you will need to create one. Rarible accepts Fortmatic, Wallet Connect, Coinbase Wallet or My Ether Wallet. The digital images will be sold for Ether, a cryptocurrency which sits on its own blockchain, Ethereum. The auction is open to everybody, regardless of location / country!

Each NFT will be auctioned individually. However, you can place a bid on all 5 pieces of art if you’d like. The highest bidder will own the digital art.

Please note that we are not selling our IP or our rights over the design, the same way that we don’t sell the design each time a new Curve card is created. The NFTs have been created by Curve’s in-house brand team and artwork should be attributed to Curve.

When is the auction taking place?

The online auction kicks off today, Friday March 26th, just over 12 months after the UK went into national lockdown in 2020. World Theatre Day is being marked on Saturday, which adds special poignancy to the cause. It will run for 2 weeks and the highest bidders will gain ownership of the digital pieces of art created by Curve.

Please take a look at Rarible’s Terms of Service and FAQ’s before placing your bids. Drop any questions you have below and I’ll be happy to answer!

We can’t wait to see how much we can raise for the theatre community. Thanks for your support! :blush:

1 Like

Is it proceeds or profits that go to the Theatre Support Fund+? The item page says it’s just the profits that are sent on, you might want to change this if it’s actually proceeds to encourage more bids.

What’s the easiest way to get a wallet using my Curve card?

Great idea Curve and perfect you’ve chosen NFT as it’s interesting new modern way how to own something valuable. :clap: But to be honest, I don’t know why should I support UK Theatre community, so don’t count me in with that, sorry… :flushed:

2 Likes

Hi @Connie, thanks for flagging that! We’re updating this on the site.

At the moment you cannot buy Crypto currency with your Curve card as we don’t allow the MCC 6051, which is usually used for Crypto. To place a bid on Rarible you will need either a Fortmatic, Wallet Connect, Coinbase Wallet or My Ether Wallet. Choosing a wallet is a personal financial decision so please read the terms and conditions for each wallet to decide which would suit your needs best.