When and why does Curve change MCC codes?

If I were Curve, I would send something like this:

"We’ve changed our transaction processing

Hi,

As we have been enjoying tremendous growth with our platform, offerings and reach; we want to let you know about some changes we have made to processing MCC codes.

Here’s what’s changed:

• As you are aware for some transactions we need to change MCC codes, but we are working on the fix that is planned to be released by XX/XX/2020.
  • Until then, please pay attention to the below MCC code changes that will apply when you pay with your Curve Card. If you need the original MCC, please consider paying with your original credit card:
    5941 -› 5999
    5542 -› 8999
    8099 -› 8999
    5462 -› 5999
    5441 -› 5999
    XXXX -› XXXX
    XXXX -› XXXX
    XXXX -› XXXX
    XXXX -› XXXX
    XXXX -› XXXX
  • We are also working hard to make MCC codes available online for each and every transaction to help you get out the most from your Curve card
  • In case your credit card conditions are not tied to MCC codes, you don’t need to do anything

Copyright 2020 © Curve OS Limited. All rights reserved.
"

7 Likes

Would be lovely to read it! I can’t wait to receive a message from Curve the issue has been resolved and all potential MCC’s have been implemented to pass through 100% of all MCC’s. No more MCC changes, please. :pray:

1 Like

Is Mastercard forcing Curve to send correct codes or why can’t the buyer choose what code which will be sent to the underlying card?

1 Like

I’m sorry, and this is probably a very naive question, but why does the MCC need to be changed by Curve in any transaction? Why is a mapping needed at all? I can find no justification for modifying the code anywhere in the community comments. Am I missing something basic? None of the curve replies actually address the need for changing the MCC in the first place. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Because of a limitation of Curve’s current interface.

That doesn’t answer the basic question, why don’t they pass the code without mapping it at all?

1 Like

With my simple mind, I would think leaving the MCC codes untouched and just passing it on is much easier, simpler than manipulating it and mapping it to something else based on predefined rules.

1 Like

It does. They need a mapping interface to pass any MCCs properly. The current one has its limitations, that’s why some codes don’t go through and that’s why they’re going to implement a new one, hopefully soon.

hi, there’s a 4214 -> 4111 re-map as well. please keep this! the only useful re-map, i’d be sad to see this fixed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They can say it’s PI all they want it doesn’t make it true. Anyway Hannah seems to have a much better grasp than Marie so hopefully we can make some progress on this now.

I think I found another one. Looks like 7230 (barber/beauty shops) is mapped to 7299 (miscellaneous personal services).

2 Likes

a friend of mine complained about another change. 5712 (furniture, ikea, home goods etc.) was mapped to 5999, he lost his 4 percent reward. at the beginning of september it was passed unchanged, i checked my own history. @Hannah could you please check this? do you really change 5712 to 5999 now?

2 Likes

Just curious, not affected by this myself, has this :point_down:t2: been implemented.

not yet, some mcc codes are still changing

2 Likes

updated list:

5941 -› 5999 (Sporting Goods Stores)
5542 -› 8999 (Fuel Dispenser, Automated)
8099 -› 8999 (Health Practitioners, Medical Services)
5462 -› 5999 (Bakeries)
5441 -› 5999 (Candy, Nut and Confectionery Stores)
7230 -› 7299 (Barber and Beauty Shops)
4214 -› 4111 (Local Delivery)
5192 -› 5999 (Books, Periodicals and Newspapers)

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue using my Crypto.com card

I was paying an invoice from a legal firm and the MCC code 8111 is eligible for cashback

Curve inexplicably changed the MCC from 8111 to 8999.
8999 isn’t eligible for cashback so this was really frustrating
Potentially costing me hundreds of pounds!

The Crypto.com support team confirmed this in their response to me.

Please fix urgently this isn’t acceptable

8111 is “Attorney/Legal services” and 8999 is “Professional Services” which is in the same category on the MCC list.

I checked the merchant’s MCC code was 8111 beforehand using the Visa MCC lookup tool.

8111 isn’t on Crypto.com’s MCC cashback exclusion page, whereas 8999 is.

I checked the definition of 8999 with two sources and both reported that 8999 was for “Professional Services that are not classified with a more specific MCC”. However, ‘Legal Services’ has its own very specific MCC code which is 8111 and is the MCC code that should have been used by Curve. Furthermore, 8111 MCC is used by both Visa and Mastercard. Why did Curve change the MCC code?

When I occasionally didn’t receive cashback for certain transactions in the past I always presumed it was Crypto.com’s fault. Now I realise it may have been Curve all this time…

For this most recent transaction, I don’t have any other card that gives me anywhere near as high a cashback as my Crypto.com card. Thus, using the ‘Go Back in Time’ feature isn’t an option.

I love Curve, but MCC blips like this can instantly cost me more than a year of Curve Metal.

Needs to be addressed and fixed. At the very least show the MCC code Curve uses on the transaction details screen so it’s easier to spot and report inaccuracies.

3 Likes

5941 -› 5999 (Sporting Goods Stores)
5542 -› 8999 (Fuel Dispenser, Automated)
8099 -› 8999 (Health Practitioners, Medical Services)
5462 -› 5999 (Bakeries)
5441 -› 5999 (Candy, Nut and Confectionery Stores)
7230 -› 7299 (Barber and Beauty Shops)
4214 -› 4111 (Local Delivery)
5192 -› 5999 (Books, Periodicals and Newspapers)
8111 -› 8999 (Legal services)

Before CryptoCom had the cashback exclusion list I used my Curve card at the automated fuel dispenser with a credit card selected as underlying card. The preauthorisation was then taken from the credit card (which often is €150 in my country) and afterwards this was ‘corrected’ to the amount I had actually bought fuel for. Then I used GBiT to put this amount on my CryptoCom card. This meant I didn’t need to bother about the full preauthorisation amount being on the CryptoCom account.

Then CryptoCom introduced the cashback exclusion list, which included MCC 5542 (Fuel Dispenser, Automated). This meant I couldn’t use the above ‘trick’ anymore, because I wouldn’t get any cashback. And also using the CryptoCom card directly wouldn’t give me the cashback.

Then CryptoCom revised the cashback exclusion list and removed MCC 5542 from it. But since Curve changes MCC 5542 to MCC 8999, which ís on the exclusion list, I still can’t use the above ‘trick’ anymore. :slightly_frowning_face:

Now I just try to use my CryptoCom card at the automated fuel dispenser directly, hope it gets accepted (in my experience Curve has a better acceptance at automated fuel dispensers than the CryptoCom card) and I need to make sure the full preauthorisation amount is on my CryptoCom account.