When do you Go Back in Time?

Exactly. This is what I’d like to know. Anyone have any experience with this?

I believe the only datapoints so far have been Tesco cards (although RBS/NatWest may now be doing the same) - I recall varying success from people in getting fees refunded, although definitely more chance if you’ve reversed the transaction via GBiT.

Unfortunately I think it would vary by issuer, hopefully people can chime in with experiences at an institution that you also use. The other option would be a goodwill credit for the fee from the issuer, but obviously that’s beyond what Curve can do.

GBiT not available for transactions over £1000. I just found out when attempting a GBiT. It’s not the first time I’ve had this kinda bombshell with Curve.

Of course the terms say ‘Curve reserves the right to use the Go Back in Time” feature for a specific customer or group of customers at any time without providing a reason.’

Shouldn’t that say ‘refuse’?

Also terms say this:
16.1.4. Curve is not responsible for any charges levied by your Payment Card issuer resulting from your use of the “Go Back in Time” feature.

Careful guys.

edit: just seen that the GBiT only allowed for under £1000 is on the Curve FAQ. Does this mean we should check the FAQ before every transaction to see if we’ll be caught out by something.

Not sure I’d regard it as a bombshell. What other instances do you have?

Good question. I’m trying to see how it might be true, but as it’s not clear, clarification seems the right thing to do. @Curve_Marie?

What’s your thinking here? :thinking:

When paying for flight with malaysian airlines, transaction was put through ‘offline’ causing small exchange rate loss.
I contacted Curve support and they referred me to the FAQ:

https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115000996549-I-ve-been-charged-on-the-wrong-card

"Offline" transactions

Some merchants will occasionally process your purchases “offline” - these merchants are typically hotels, airlines, Japanese retailers and American restaurants (when tipping). What they may do is send an authorisation at the time you present your card, then let it expire and then send a separate offline transaction a day or so later. This can show as 2 (or more) charges on your account - in these cases, you will only be charged by Curve once, and will not lose out on any more (Read more about offline transactions here).

Offline transactions are the most common thing in the airfare industry business. This is not something Curve can rule on, its how merchants are allowed by visa / mastercard to file their transactions. Its even worse, when you book 2 tickets (for 2 people) in 1 reservation, the airline will put a hold / an auth on your card of the total amount (lets say 1000$) and then send 2 offline transactions (because 2 tickets for 2 people means 2 eticket numbers) of each 500$ BUT the airline (=merchant) does NOT remove the auth themselves.
Lucky us, auths with Curve expire after 7 days, with some banks, for example fidor.de AUTHs only expire after 30 days!

In the meantime, 1000$ is blocked and 2*500$ is charged. There is nothing Curve can do about it, its the merchants fault. Its strange that airlines are permitted to behave this way by Visa / MC, but I guess they are just too big to get nudged.

So everytime when you book something direct with the airline or from any (online) travel agency, that charges your card via BSP (meaning the airline will charge your card in the end), you will receive an offline transaction. And this is with every airline! Only workaround is to use paypal or to use an (online) travel agency that charges your card instead of using the airline.
The reason why travel agencies do that is that the airline pays for the transaction fee. Otherwise the merchant has to pay between 1-4% for charging the card and with the margins so little they would make no profit.

2 Likes

Thanks @Lucas, that’s interesting stuff.

Well, you guys did ask me for another instance. I provided you one.

Anyway, the FAQ says ‘you will only be charged by Curve once’ as if to say Curve is doing us a favour by charging us only once.

Also, I think the FAQ should also mention 'you will not lose out on any more, apart from a difference in exchange rate (if the transaction is carried out in another currency). I’d be interesting to hear if a customer has actually gained due to exchange rate fluctuations or if it’s all one way traffic in favour of the airlines.