Wirecard: Discussion

Impossible to add a card in the Curve app… is this related ?

Forgive me, but if Curve is currently out… Why try adding cards? Of course it doesn’t work. Either way, let’s stick to the topic and don’t go off-topic. :smiley:

2 Likes

Before refunding on to the underlying card, Curve needs to receive the refund to your Curve card. With Wirecard suspended, Curve cannot receive the refund to your Curve card.

1 Like

This was a real bombshell. Wirecard underpin so many fintech startups, all over the place. Some of them might be brilliant ideas which don’t have the resources to suddenly jump to another platform, so there may be casualties unfortunately.

On a brighter note, Curve at least has the ability to work it’s way out of this, and if they are building their own platform in-house, they could come out of this a whole lot stronger.

Why should the ability to add or remove cards be affected by the ability to transact on one’s Curve card? For example, should it be equally impossible to add underlying cards when one locks one’s Curve card in the app? Adding cards uses Curve’s function as a merchant, not Curve’s (or Wirecard’s) function as a card issuer. It makes perfect sense to add cards during Curve’s outage as a card issuer, so that everything is ready to use as soon as Curve is up and running again.

In the April news, they would have written that they also had to migrate their moving e-Money in-house :grin: at this point, I think they put everything offline to be able to migrate better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quite simply PayPal. They have a business free fx card. If they launched a personal card then they are curve. You can add amex too and can hold money with them unlike curve cash which at the momemt you can’t add money to. Paypal also do proper credit and not a klarna type installment offer. We’ll see whether PayPal try to take on curve.

PayPal has none of those features outside US, UK and DE currently, so for most of Europe there’s no alternative.

True but that’s outside my scope. I was referring to what PayPal could do. I’m sure they could launch outside of those countries but thanks for pointing that out.

Would there be any compensations for Metal subscription users later after all this? I support Curve but it is still nice for compensation since we have paid it annually.

3 Likes

When your card is suspended active card checks to securely verify your card can’t happen no funds can be collected and refunded simple as that until curve are fully on their system then the fca will allow curve to start operating again no question as wirecard link meant curve wasn’t using curves e money licence at all just wirecard one so must follow rules until they switch over to in house

Curve’s function as a merchant (charging underlying cards) is separate from Curve’s (and Wirecard’s) function as a card issuer.

@wbrowngala, it’s very difficult to understand what you’re saying because you write long paragraphs with no punctuation or gaps between sentences. Please spare a thought particularly for the many non-native English speakers in this forum who will have even more difficulty in understanding you.

6 Likes

The email I got from someone in curve said all functions curve did are suspended nothing can happen till they are back up and running and support can only deal with an issue that’s not related as the fca ruled no company can continue to operate unless they can switch functions from wirecard to another system until that happens all operations must be halted

Some companies just need wirecard to issue a physical card but some companies used wirecard full white label service under their own name are more at risk than others

That’s not true. No action by the FCA prevents Curve from continuing to provide services that do not use Wirecard, for example GBIT and travel insurance.

Let this be a lesson never to go on a business trip only carrying 1 card from 1 source. Always multiple cards from multiple sources, and cash!

2 Likes

I carry all my cards but only use one card normally the curve card depends on transaction to what card I use

Hi,
I have two days left until the sign up bonus expires and I wanted to make my first payment this weekend. However I’m not able to do this as the Curve cards are suspended. Is there any possibility to extend the due date for the first purchase?

Best regards, Zuzanna

This mentioned in The Guardian today. One point to note:

The finance regulator said UK customers’ funds would not be protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), which covers consumers for up to £85,000.

“FSCS only applies to certain types of activity which does not include issuing electronic money or payment services,” the FCA said.
Blockquote

The article is at:
Wirecard UK ordered to freeze customer funds by finance regulator

What is the relevance of this to Curve?

1 Like

No relevance whatsoever.

1 Like