Would Curve transactions be considered online shopping?

According to the FAQ, Curve transactions go through to the underlying cards as e-commerce transactions. So, what happens if you link the Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards credit card to Curve? (When Visa cards are able to be added one day). That card earns you 3% cash back for online shopping purchases. Would every single transaction processed via Curve earn 3% cash back from BofA?

1 Like

Hello @PaulieMyk,

Curve uses the same MCC code which the Merchant uses where you used your card. There are some cases where Curve changes the MCC code.

ATM Withdrawals/Online Money Transfers have the same MCC code.

Thanks, yes I was aware of that. There are no specific MCC codes for e-commerce transactions that I’m aware of, so I’m wondering how Bank of America knows it’s an online transaction or not. I didn’t know if there was some sort of e-commerce flag or not in addition to the MCC code? I guess I’ll just have to try it when Visa support is added!

1 Like

Usually there is an flag called card_present (NFC, Chip&Pin, Signature (Offline)) and card_not_present (online transactions).

With this flag is possible to determite if its an e-commerce transaction but it could still have the MCC code of an ATM withdraw or Money Transfers.

1 Like

Nice! If that’s how BofA determines online shopping, that might work! I’ll report back when Visa is accepted and I can try. :slight_smile:

1 Like